This position is assigned to Engineering Service at the Fargo VA Health Care System (VA HCS) in Fargo, ND. The Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic determines their work procedures to accomplish assignments and is directly supervised by the Maintenance & Repair Foreman. This position primarily conducts duties at the Fargo VA, but at times will be required to travel to other locations within the Fargo VA HCS, other VA Health Care Systems, or other locations within the local commuting area.Learn more about this agency
The closing date of this announcement has been updated. New closing date is Friday, January 31, 2020.
Duties include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Performs all Journeyman level necessary repairs, preventative maintenance and installation of all heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) items, heating equipment, refrigeration equipment, food service equipment, laundry equipment, and other specialty equipment within the Medical Center and support buildings.
- Performs trouble shooting of HVAC systems, refrigerant systems, chilled water systems, hydronic heating systems, etc.; and performs brazing and soldering of copper piping materials for refrigeration piping, coil repairs, etc., and repairs of other alloyed materials.
- Understands and is able to maintain different refrigerant oil levels in a system; and maintains a refrigerant log per VA standards and requirements.
- Coordinates work with contractors who perform work at the facility to include, but not limited to, testing and balancing of critical ventilations systems, control system upgrades and modifications to hoods along with the associated testing requirements for various types of hoods (i.e., fume, chemo, negative air, general hoods, etc.).
- Maintains, troubleshoots, programs, and installs variable frequency drives; maintains pumps and impellers (i.e., cooling pumps, heating pumps, recirculating pumps, etc.); and must understand and maintain pump controls (such as pressure switches, differential pressure, cut offs, etc.).
- Troubleshoots control panels for the Building Automation System/Energy Management System.
- Operates power equipment such as a pressure washer, drill press, sheet metal brake, sheet metal shear, bearing press, metal band saw, welders (i.e. arc welder, wire welder and spot welder), etc..; and also operates portable power equipment and hand tools commonly used in the trade.
- Maintains specified laundry equipment; maintains and troubleshoots steam converters/heat exchangers/water heaters and associated controls; and maintains and troubleshoots dedicated air conditioning units (DACU's) such as those used in the computer server room and telephone switch room along with all associated piping, condensers and controls.
- Performs daily, weekly and monthly inspections and checks of equipment to prevent or lessen any breakdowns/costly repairs that would upset the daily routine of the hospital.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm.
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Authorized
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556454100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.