As a WG-4 Cook, you will perform specific duties. A WG-4 Cook carries out assignments both with and without direct supervision. The primary purpose of this work is to support meal service in the Food Service department, prepare a wide variety of food items for meal service, both in bulk and in individual or small-batch portions.Learn more about this agency
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Prepares convenience and minimal preparation food items, such as sauces, gravies, vegetables, sandwiches, and other food items.
- Cuts and prepares variety of food ingredients to be used in the preparation of scratch cooked items, such as fresh vegetables, herbs, seasonings.
- Assists WG-6 cook in the preparation of more complex recipes, such as those made from scratch, following the steps in a standardized recipe and/or production sheet.
- Utilizes a variety of food preparation equipment, such as ovens, grills, steam kettles, gas range, slicer, and others.
- Follows HACCP and ServSafe Guidelines to ensure food is prepared using correct and safe procedures, preventing food borne illness.
- Maintains a safe and sanitary kitchen, by following established guidelines and cleaning schedules for food safety, personal hygiene, sanitation, and workplace safety.
- Contributes to a Veteran-centered culture by preparing quality food items.
1. Cooks food to proper temperatures and maintains the proper temperatures for all foods during service.
2. Assists with rotation of stock, checking dates on food products, and properly labeling and dating all food items. Discards postdated products appropriately.
3. Maintains the proper temperature for all foods during holding, to assure quality control and food safety; stores leftovers or items prepared for future use according to established procedures; and utilizes leftovers and rotates food to prevent spoilage.
4. Measures and documents food temperatures of prepared food items.
5. Cleans work areas, including refrigeration/freezer units, work tables/carts, cooking and food preparation equipment, floors, walls, shelving, etc. When opening cases/cans of supplies, takes empty boxes/cans to trash/recycling storage, etc.Follows established cleaning procedures.
6. Safely operates a variety of kitchen equipment and disassembles and assembles component parts and accessories for cleaning.
7. Wears personal protective equipment when required.
8. Utilizes Safety Data Sheets for information related to all chemicals.
9. Refers concerns/questions to supervisor, including equipment in need of repair, any safety hazards, and suggestions for improvement.
1. Employee works as part of a team in food preparation or cooking/heating activities. Performs a full range of simple cooking tasks by preparing and cooking/heating items that require little or no processing, using several different methods in support of Cook/Serve, Cook/Chill, and Ready-To-Serve/convenience foods.
2. Prepares hot cereal, rice, vegetables, soups, gravies, pastas and products from concentrated or dehydrated state. Prepares food by chopping, grinding, peeling, paring, cutting, slicing, dicing, pureeing and blast chilling. Weighs, measures, and labels containers with product, date and meal according to established procedures.
3. Mixes ingredients according to precisely written recipes that produce quality products, minimize preparation time and avoid food material waste.
4. Makes cold sandwich fillings.
5. Portions foods for distribution and meal service.
6. Prepares grilled items such as pancakes, French toast, sausage, eggs, hamburger and prepares fresh, canned or frozen vegetables.
7. Weighs, measures and assembles ingredients for regular and modified menu items.
1. Works as a member of the team.
2. Supports Veteran centered care goals.
3. Provides excellent customer service to VA employees, patients, families and others.
4. Interacts with co-workers, patients, and hospital staff in a courteous way.
General Food Service
1. Effectively plans and organizes own work and coordinates work with that of others, to meet numerous deadlines. Performs duties independently, in accordance with written guides and established policies. Uses judgment in recognizing work objectives, to accomplish these objectives.
2. Follows task sheets and/or production schedules and menus created for assigned area.
3. In absence of immediate supervisor, employee may be assigned in to answer the telephone, document leave, document accident reports, adjust work load, and communicate information to appropriate staff. May lock up and/or open food production areas, distribute and collects keys, to maintain maximum safety and security of resources.
4. The employee performs the duties of a WG-4 Cook and provides relief for all positions assigned to Food Production.
Work Schedule: 05:30a.m. - 2:00p.m. Rotating Days, Weekends, Holidays
Position Description Title/PD#:
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556181100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.