The Associate Director for Patient Care Services is a member of the BVAMC Executive Leadership Team, along with the Medical Center Director, the Associate Medical Center Director, the Chief of Staff, and the Assistant Medical Center Director. The Associate Director for Patient Care Services participates fully in upper-level management decisions to speak on behalf of nursing and other hospital administration issues and is a member of all medical center-level Councils and Committees.Learn more about this agency
The Associate Director for Patient Care Services is the Nurse Executive for this facility and its associated community-based outpatient clinics. He/she is responsible for the practice of nursing 24/7 by all registered nurses, advanced practice nurses, and allied health staff (LPNs, NAs, etc.) regardless of line authority. He/she has line authority over Sterile Processing Services, Chaplain Service, and inpatient Social Work. The Associate Director for Patient Care Services will exercise final authority and approval over nursing job descriptions, nursing care policies and procedures; nursing standards of patient care, treatment, and services; standards of nursing practice; nurse staffing plans; and standards to measure, assess, and improve patient outcomes. He/she will ensure that all registered nurses, advance practice nurses, and licensed practical nurses are licensed, certified, and/or registered upon employment, and thereafter. He/she will ensure a competency process is in place to evaluate individual practice, as well as a review process for annual performance ratings. The Associate Director for Patient Care Services and other nursing leaders participate with leaders from the Executive Leadership Team, management, medical staff, clinical areas, and administrative areas in strategic planning and decision-making processes. Nursing leaders in all services are permitted input into nursing policy development and may participate in the Associate Director for Patient Care Services' Administrative Staff Meetings, encompassing nursing management and staff development. Appropriate delegation of nursing activities is accomplished to nurse leaders in all services. BVAMC embraces patient-family centered care principles, with care of the veteran his/her priority. The incumbent practices good customer service in all work activities, treating veterans, their families/representatives, visitors, and other employees in a courteous, tactful, and respectful manner. Willing to work cooperatively as a member of a team in all assignments. The incumbent embraces a continuous culture of safety for veterans, their families, visitors, and employees. Incumbent will be self-directed in completing on-going education. Will ensure the appropriate staff have completed annual competency checklists.
Practice -- Collaborates with health care executives in creating the organizational mission and vision. Directs the integration of nursing or nursing-related activities in the mutual development and achievement of organizational goals.
1. Participates as an active team member of the Medical Center's Executive Management Team.
2. Embodies the highest professional nursing standards. Advocates for a strong nursing professional role, evidenced by establishing, articulating, and promoting a philosophy, mission, and vision for professional nursing.
3. Develops and supports Medical Center-wide patient care programs, policies, guidelines, and procedures that describe and guide how patients' nursing care needs are assessed, evaluated, and met.
4. Establishes and/or supports organizational structure(s) and mechanisms to address nursing issues and assures appropriate and uniform standards of nursing care throughout the Medical Center.
5. Ensures appropriate nursing practice throughout the Medical Center by establishing local policy and processes and reviews all actions of the Registered Nurse (RN) and the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Standards Boards.
6. Maintains responsibility and accountability to the Medical Center Director for nursing standards of practice, recruitment and retention, and long-range planning and model development for the effective delivery of health services.
7. Makes decisions that reflect the distinctive and contributory role of nursing within the local institution and the total healthcare system.
8. Creates a work environment that facilitates and encourages critical thinking, conflict management, and problem-solving for all levels of staff.
Work Schedule: Monday- Friday 8:00 am- 4:30pm
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556127700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.