Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to provide technical engineering advice, guidance and
direction in areas of systems engineering for all armament systems programs.
- The incumbent provides armament systems engineering and technical direction for all assigned engineering functions, as well as technical planning on the integration of state-of-the-art armament system technologies into armament system program(s).
- Exercises originality and engineering expertise in serving as the systems engineering technical advisor on all types of systems, system integration, advanced materials and manufacturing processes.
- Is a recognized expert in systems engineering techniques and provides assistance to Branches within the Division methods and techniques.
- Promotes the technology transfer of advanced concept laboratory projects to armament system engineering applications.
- Chairs study teams conducting evaluations of armament systems, ascertains the impact of significant technological breakthroughs on systems, and selects a best approach from competing approaches to achieve operational capability and reliability.
- Serves as a mentor for group engineers in related disciplines in order to enhance their technical expertise and development.
Occasional travel - Work may occasionally require travel away from the normal duty station on military or commercial aircraft.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Recruitment/Relocation incentives may/may not be authorized as well as creditable leave.
- This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- This position is designated by the Air Force as a TDP under the Air Force Civilian Drug Testing Program.
- Employee may be required to work overtime.
- Employee may be required by management to submit an initial and annual SF-450 (Financial Disclosure) in accordance with the Joint Ethics Regulation.
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- This is a Critical Acquisition Position.
- Unless waived, selectee must be a member of an Acquisition Corps at the time of appointment.
- Selectee must execute, as a condition of appointment, a written agreement to remain in Federal Service in this position for at least three years.
Basic Qualification Requirement: You must meet one of the following qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement and provide documentation to support your qualifications (If you are using education to qualify, failure to submit the required documentation will result in you being rated ineligible. See sections on "College Transcripts" and "Foreign Education" below for required documentation.):
To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:
A. Degree: Have a Bachelor's Degree in professional engineering from a curriculum (1) in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineer curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (beyond first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics; (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
B. Education/Experience: Have a combination of education and experience--college level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences, and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
1. Professional Registration. Have current registration as a professional engineer.
2. Written Test. Have evidence of successfully passing the written test required for professional registration or have successfully passed the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination and have completed all the requirements for either (a) a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering Technology (BET) from an accredited college or university that included 60 semester or 90 quarter hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences, or (b) a BET from a program accredited by ABET.
3. Specified Academic Courses. Have successfully completed at least 60 semester or 90 quarter hours of courses in the Physical, Mathematical, and Engineering sciences and in Engineering that included the courses specified in "A" above.
4. Related Curriculum. Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field, e.g., physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. Ordinarily there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering-type experience, e.g., in interdisciplinary positions. (The above examples of related curricula are not all-inclusive.)
Basic Qualification Supporting Documentation. This position has a specific education requirement. You must submit the appropriate documentation in accordance with the response selected in the assessments:
- Copy of college transcripts
- If you are a current federal employee in the GS-800 series as an engineer, you may submit your most recent SF-50 in lieu of college transcripts
- Complete college course list*
- Professional engineer license
- Training plan, performance appraisal and/or letter from Professional Engineer Supervisor - Ordinarily there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering type experience. If you are using a related curriculum to qualify, failure to submit the following documentation will result in you being rated ineligible. You must submit a legible copy of your training plan, performance appraisal and/or a letter from your Professional Engineer Supervisor.
Failure to provide the appropriate documentation will result in an ineligible rating.
If selected, you will be required to provide an original/official copy of your documentation before entering on duty.
*Complete list of all college courses must identify: college or university attended, course title/number taken, semester or quarter hours earned, grade and grade-point received. Transcripts must reflect receipt of degree and date degree was awarded, if applicable. To receive credit for foreign education, you must provide proof that the education has been evaluated by an organization specializing in interpretation of foreign educational credentials and has been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education programs.
Additional Qualification Requirement (Specialized Experience). Must have at least 1 year of specialized experience at the next lower grade level or band or equivalent pay scale providing guidance, advice, and direction for system acquisitions in support of the design, development, production, procurement, and integration of armament systems. It may have been gained in the private sector, volunteer service, military service, and/or government service, etc.
FEDERAL TIME-IN-GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT FOR GENERAL SCHEDULE (GS) POSITIONS: Merit promotion applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible. One year at the GS-13 level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the GS-14 level. TIG applies if you are in a current GS position or held a GS position within the previous 52 weeks.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: If position has a positive degree requirement or education forms the basis for qualifications, you MUST submit transcriptswith the application. Official transcripts are not required at the time of application; however, if position has a positive degree requirement, qualifying based on education alone or in combination with experience, transcripts must be verified prior to appointment. An accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education must accredit education. Click here to check accreditation.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
Current or Former Federal Civilian Employees (Includes current Air Force employees): You are required to submit legible copy/copies of your last or most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, (block 24 must be a "1" or "2" AND block 34 must be a"1"). Additionally, if you are applying for a higher grade (GS) and your SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you meet the one year time-in-grade requirement so you will need to provide an SF-50 which clearly demonstrates you meet the time-in-grade requirements (examples of appropriate SF-50s include Promotions, Within-grade Grade/Range Increases, and SF-50s with an effective date more than one year old)
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated well qualified or above for this position. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Current Federal Civilian employees may apply for temporary and term positions and if selected, a break in service of more than three (3) calendar days may be required prior to appointment to the position.
120-Day Register: This announcement may result in a 120-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 120 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance (WTA) and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on WTA/RITA allowances and eligibilities, please click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Expert and authoritative knowledge of armament systems engineering to apply mechanics, electro-mechanics,
and electronics engineering disciplines to plan and coordinate the installation of nuclear/nonnuclear
armament systems into weapon systems.
2. Expert and authoritative knowledge and experience is required into multi-disciplinary engineering fields
related to the development of aeronautical systems, and demonstrated competence in the areas of
reliability and maintainability engineering and Design of Experiences.
3. A degree in engineering or it's equivalent, as specified in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM)
Qualifications Handbook, is required.
4. Substantial experience and expertise in reliability and maintainability engineering for mechanical
components and electronic systems and their affordability.
5. Expert and authoritative knowledge of functions, capabilities, locations and organization components of
and other AFMC technical organizations.
6. Broad knowledge of regulations, policies, and operating instructions and procedures as they pertain to
the preparation of technical documents; technical source selections; weapon systems development, and
policies at international levels.
7. Ability to demonstrate leadership and technical skills to identify development goals and objectives,
develop and comprehensive project plans and when necessary, direct ad hoc teams.
8. Ability to recognize and clearly define deficiencies that may be eliminated through improvements or
advances in maintenance systems, automatic test equipment, and logistics support systems.
9. Ability to advocate and justify verbally, and in writing, proposals and decisions to the highest executive
10. Ability to persuasively interact with other senior management and scientific personnel to negotiate
major issues of importance.
11. The incumbent must possess high professional stature to obtain cooperation from peers.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
The resume/documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
For additional information on what to include in your resume, click here.
Applicants who meet the requirements for and apply as a non-competitive eligible that meet minimal qualifications and other requirements of this position, will be given consideration as a non-competitive candidate and will be referred unless blocked by an individual with priority/preference.
APPRAISALS/AWARDS: Hiring Managers use objective methods and consider previous performance appraisals and awards in the selection process. Current Federal Civilian employees should list any relevant performance related rating and/or awards in your resume.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. Applicants who do not submit required documentation to determine eligibility and qualifications will be eliminated from consideration. Other documents may be required based on the eligibility/eligibilities you are claiming. Click here to view the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide and the required documents you must submit to substantiate the eligibilities you are claiming.
- Online Application: Questionnaire
- Resume: For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position. If you are a current Federal employee or previous Federal employee, provide your pay plan, series and grade, i.e. GS-0301-09. Current Federal Civilian Employees should list any relevant performance related rating (given within the last three years) and/or incentive awards in your resume. Do NOT include photographs (or links to social media such as LinkedIn), inappropriate material, inappropriate content, nor personal information such as age, gender, religion, social security number, etc., on your resume.
- Transcripts/Registration/License: If qualifying on education/position requires education, you must submit copies of your transcripts and if required for the position, submit an active, current registration/license.
- Veterans: If claiming VRA, VEOA or Veterans' Preference - Submit VOW certification memo or copy of the official DD-Form 214, which must include the character of service/type under honorable conditions (i.e., with an honorable or general discharge). This will be annotated in block 24 on member copy 2, 4, or 7 of the DD-Form 214. If you are also claiming 10-point preference and/or 30% Disabled Veteran, you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of Purple Heart, if applicable).
- Current or Former Federal Civilian Employees (includes current Air Force employees): You must submit a legible copy of a SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action. The SF-50, block 24 must contain "1" or "2" AND block 34 must be a "1". Employees eligible under an OPM approved interchange agreement, block 34 may contain a "1" or "2".
- Promotion Consideration: If you wish to be considered as a promotion candidate and your SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you meet the one-year time-in-grade requirements. You will need to provide additional SF-50s which clearly demonstrates you meet the time-in-grade requirements (examples of appropriate SF-50s include Promotions, Within-Grade, Grade/Range Increases, and SF-50s with an effective date more than one year old).
- Name/Rank/Grade of Service Member
- Branch of Armed Forces
- Dates of Active Service (Start and End Date(s)
- Expected Date of Discharge/Release from Active Duty
- Terminal leave start date (if applicable)
- Expected character of service/discharge and type of separation (i.e. separation or retirement)
- Must be certified within 120 days of anticipated discharge
- Signature by, or by direction of the adjutant, personnel office, unit commander, or higher headquarters commander.
Performance Appraisals for Current Federal Civilian Employees - Most recent performance appraisals (dated within last 3 years) showing the official rating of record, signed by a supervisor, or statement why the performance appraisal is unavailable.
Awards for Current Federal Civilian employees - List any awards received within the last 3 years on the resume.
Note: Applicant must not submit award SF50s-Notification of Personnel Actions (SF50s).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 01/15/2020
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10691192
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent."
- It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes photographs (or links to social media), inappropriate material, inappropriate content, or personal information such as age, gender, religion, social security number, etc., you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10691192
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
310 W Van Matre Ave
Eglin AFB, FL 32542
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556078800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.