The primary care social worker provides clinical social work services to Veterans in the primary care, inpatient and specialty clinic program activities within the Medical Center and at the Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOC). The social worker provides direct patient care and professional services to an adult population of Veterans and their significant others in collaboration with other members of the interdisciplinary treatment team as appropriate.Learn more about this agency
The social worker will participate in the screening of Veterans for appropriate services/programs. This will include assessment of individual Veteran's presenting problems, strengths, family support and availability of resources. Demonstrate an understanding of the range of treatment and skills needed for all adult patients including geriatric patients related to their physical limitations, psychological needs and age associated illnesses and conditions. The incumbent must understand the problems of advancing age and respect for the diversification of the aging Veteran population, being sensitive to human growth and development, age-appropriate needs and concerns of the geriatric Veteran and be able to provide current and advanced techniques to the treatment of this Veteran population. Specific services include but are not limited to:
- Develop effective treatment plans after conducting a comprehensive psychosocial assessment, within required timeframes, utilizing tools and methods as required for the assigned program area.
- Independently take appropriate actions, even in instances where agency actions can have serious impact on the life of the person served. This may include recommendations for involvement of the court system or protective care agencies, community placement, long term institutional or nursing home care or others.
- Be the subject matter expert on VA and/or community resources and collaborate with other service providers in reassessing the Veteran's needs for referral to appropriate services.
- Use the current social work resource file of VA and community social service programs and enhance the content to the benefit of Veterans.
- Act as an advocate when it serves the best interest of the Veteran/family.
- Act as an advocate for the VA and need for services in specific geographical areas. At all times the incumbent will positively and professionally represent the VA in the community.
- Process alleged abuse cases according to policy and ensure that the Chief, Patient & Community Care Service, is kept informed of any concerns with either patients or community facilities.
- Provide education related to VA and community resources, entitlements, health care planning, and will refer Veterans/families to the appropriate interdisciplinary team member for identified health education needs.
- Provide Veterans and their caregivers with ongoing supportive counseling to deal with the psychosocial impact of coping with chronic/disabling illness, onset of a catastrophic illness and/or dying.
- Assist patients/families in coping and dealing with the loss and grief experienced in disability, terminal illness and death.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees, volunteers, consumers and stakeholders within the VA and outside community agencies.
- Attend all meetings (interdisciplinary treatment team meetings, Social Work staff meetings, etc.) and perform other duties as required.
- Collaborate in the performance improvement processes and comply with performance measures as required by the VA for their specific population and/or program.
- Enter all Veteran/family contacts in the Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS) using appropriate formats and templates. This information will be entered in a complete, confidential, and professional manner to insure information on the patient is shared with other VA staff.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556000500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.