What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?Learn more about this agency
NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
PLEASE READ THIS STATEMENT: IF YOU PREVIOUSLY APPLIED TO DEN-2020-0097 YOU WILL NEED TO APPLY TO THIS ANNOUNCEMENT TO BE CONSIDERED.
As a COMPUTER SCIENTIST within the Wetland and Aquatic Research Center, some of your specific duties will include:
- Applies theories and principles of computation, programming languages and software engineering to develop custom software that addresses challenges faced by natural resource managers.
- Employs various levels of software testing, including unit, integration, functional and usability testing, to validate code before committing to a shared version control repository. Participates in testing and review of code committed by other members of the project team.
- Under direction from a database administrator, maintains and adjusts the structure of relational databases that support interactive data-driven applications.
- Deploys components of custom-built software to workstations and web servers for use by product owners. Assists in setting up automated testing and deployment strategies to improve the efficiency of the deployment pipeline.
- Maintains thorough documentation of the progress and state of each project, as well as the rationale behind complex or unusual software engineering and design decisions, such that another team member could begin contributing to a project without significant difficulty.
- Assists in translating product owner requirements into a formal software specification that informs the selection and application of technology and architectural principles for each product to be developed.
- Investigates new tools, technologies and programming languages that have potential to improve the development process and capabilities of the team, and shares findings with team members as appropriate.
Occasional travel - Average 1 night a month
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/555987000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.