What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
PLEASE READ THIS STATEMENT: IF YOU PREVIOUSLY APPLIED TO DEN-2020-0093, YOU WILL NEED TO APPLY TO THIS ANNOUNCEMENT TO BE CONSIDERED.Learn more about this agency
The position is in the Lafayette, LA office of the Wetland and Aquatic Research Center and operates within the Data and Decisions Branch as part of the Advanced Applications Team. Working together with subject matter experts and resource managers, the team develops custom software to manage, visualize and share scientific data, and to model various aspects of environmental change. Acting in a lead role for small to moderately-sized projects, the position reports to overall team leads and performs advanced full-stack software architecture in support of projects for the USGS and partner agencies, including primarily the State of Louisiana.
As a Computer Scientist within the Wetland and Aquatic Research Center, some of your specific duties will include:
- Employs, and directs others in the deployment of various levels of software testing, including unit, integration, functional and usability testing, to validate code before committing to a shared version control repository. Leads the testing and review of code committed by other members of the project team.
- Applies advanced theories and principles of computation, programming languages and software engineering to architect and lead the development of custom software that addresses challenges faced by natural resource managers. Structures project work into manageable components and establishes timelines.
- Independently designs and maintains relational databases that support interactive data-driven applications.
- Translates product owner requirements into a formal software specification. Selects and applies appropriate technology and architectural principles for each product to be developed.
- Maintains thorough documentation of the progress and state of each project, as well as the rationale behind complex or unusual software engineering and design decisions, such that another team member could begin contributing to a project without significant difficulty. Ensures completeness of documentation provided by other project team members.
- Deploys custom-built software to workstations and web servers for use by product owners. Manages the use of automated testing and deployment strategies to improve the efficiency of the deployment pipeline.
- Investigates new tools, technologies and programming languages that have potential to improve the development process and capabilities of the team. Shares findings and implements changes in project team workflows as appropriate.
Occasional travel - An average of 2 nights a month
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/555967600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.