The RSO is responsible for developing and enforcing radiation safety policies and procedures for protection of persons and the environment from the hazards of radiation. This position is responsible for serving as a subject matter expert for the Radiation safety program to ensure that safety is maintained, that policy is implemented, and that compliance with regulations is occurring. The RSo os responsible to ensuring that quality control programs must be designed, implemented, and monitored.Learn more about this agency
- Technical expert in radiation safety and decontamination matters and has direct access to senior management.
- Designs, establishes, and implements written policies and procedures for a Radiation Safety Program encompassing the clinical an research use of radionuclides and machine produced radiation.
- Responds to radiation incidents involving patients, employees, or visitors and take appropriate action as subject matter expert.
- Reports exposures and recommendations to the Radiation Safety Committee.
- Determines when incidents are required to be reported to agencies outside the VA and completes required reports.
- Oversees the inventory of radioactive material, and receipt, disposal, transportation, and shipment of radioactive material.
- manages machine-produced radiation safety program, which encompasses x-ray machine performance evaluations, CT dose optimization extensive Joint Commission and VA requirements.
- Serves as the subject-matter expert and assists the MRI Safety Officer and Laser Safety Officer on developing policy and procedures for the safe use of MRI and Lasers, conducting audits and inventory. Develops training for MR personnel and Laser Operators. Sits on the MRI Safety Subcommittee.
- Member of Environment of Care Committee, GEMS Committee, and the Subcommittee on Research Safety & Biosecurity.
Work Schedule: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Telework: Only on an as-needed basis
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Health Physicist/PDS0B90-O
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Approved
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/555833400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.