This position is located in the Architect of the Capitol (AOC), Office of the Chief Operating Officer, Planning and Project Management, Energy and Design Services Division, Energy, Water and Sustainability Branch. The selectee will serve in a dual capacity as both the Deputy Sustainability Officer for AOC and the Assistant Director, Energy, Water and Sustainability Branch.Learn more about this agency
The selectee will perform the following:
Conservation Program Management
- As related to sustainability, energy and water conservation, is responsible for oversight of design and for engineering initiatives to assist with development, implementation and achievement of AOC goals and standards for sustainability, green building design and energy efficiency savings in compliance with governing regulations and the agency's strategic objectives.
- Leads in the administration of broad, emerging and/or critical agency programs or operations regarding engineering, sustainability and energy conservation.
- Evaluates current and proposed programs and operations and recommends actions to initiate, modify or discontinue projects as needed.
Supervisory and Managerial Responsibilities
- Performs administrative and technical supervisory functions for subordinates within the Energy and Sustainability Branch and the Energy Management Control System (EMCS) shop.
- Assigns duties and evaluates performance, manages the organizational unit’s budget, directs the workload and work priorities.
- Develops performance requirements for subordinates and ensures a mutual understanding of the performance standards.
- Resolves complaints and grievances as delegated by higher level supervisors.
- Ensures a thorough knowledge of and compliance with all AOC and OSHA safety rules and regulations.
- Authorizes training and ensures all subordinates know how to use required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Provides leadership to ensure support for equal employment opportunity (EEO) goals and requirements.
- Assists with the development, conception, planning and implementation of policies, strategic plan initiatives and guidelines affecting broad, emerging and/or critical agency programs.
- Provides managerial direction to and evaluation of, large scale, high performance energy management and sustainability programs, including long range engineering, planning and investment decisions in real property assets and their effect on the environment.
- Translates agency initiatives, as directed by Congress, into program goals, actions and policies.
- Coordinates with the Department of Energy and other governmental counterparts/agencies in the dissemination of information regarding their programs in the areas of sustainability, energy and applied research.
- Provides professional engineering expertise in building performance metrics and related measurement techniques.
- Applies specialized technical knowledge of professional engineering and scientific concepts, methods and procedures to analyze and define the requirements of multi-phase projects.
Technical Advice and Guidance
- Serves as a sustainability advisor on a broad range of inter-disciplinary development and design activities and on various programs and events with particular emphasis on the full range of engineering disciplines and agency sustainability, energy and water conservation initiatives.
- Appraises the quality of engineering designs and systems and energy efficiency/sustainability through technical overview of planning and project development documents, designs and contract documents (prepared either in-house or by consultant contract) or operational activities and initiates correction of deficiencies to improve overall performance.
- Advises on the appropriate methods and techniques to use in order to achieve program goals and objectives.
- Serves on Architect of the Capitol special work groups, task forces or expert panels on special projects or studies critical to the resolution of far-reaching operating issues and problems.
- Develops new energy utilization policies and long range planning in connection with legislative requirements.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with various high-level individuals, including Members of Congress and their staff, other legislative and executive agencies, executives of major corporations and the public.
- Plans, directs and executes liaison operations for critical agency-wide programs.
- Serves as an agency representative and consultant for the agency at interagency meetings dealing with issues and information in the area of expertise and program responsibility.
15 - Full Performance Level is GS-15.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/555478100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.