This position is located in the Department of Veteran Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, Veteran Integrated Service Network 6 (VISN 6), at the Richmond VA medical Center (VAMC), in Richmond, Virginia, within the Directors Office of the Radiology and Nuclear Medicine Service.Learn more about this agency
This position reports directly to the Chief of the Radiology and Nuclear Medicine Service. This position primarily serves as a Diagnostic Radiologic Medical Physicist for the Richmond VA Medical Center. Duties include but may not be limited to the following:
- Develops, oversees, and analyzes technologist's quality control testing of radiation producing, detecting and measuring equipment (which includes analog and digital radiographic/fluoroscopic equipment, computed radiography, mammogram, film digitizer equipment, magnetic resonance imagers, ultrasound equipment, nuclear medicine cameras and diagnostic and clinical viewing monitors.
- Certifies the design and/or modifications of all diagnostic X-Ray installations within the Service.
- Serves as the Medical Center certifying official for shielding analyses and for the plans submitted by equipment manufacturers for new construction and/or proposed modification.
- Provides support services includes performing radiation safety surveys, calibrating, related instruments and equipment, reviewing radiation safety and quality assurance programs, and providing recommendations for resolving issues and correcting deficiencies.
- Designs, implements research protocols related to imaging. Calculates the radiation dose to critical organs and provides risk factors for research protocols.
- Advises patients on the radiation associated risks of studies or procedures when requested by staff radiologists.
- Performs comprehensive quarterly, semi-annual and annual equipment quality control checks of diagnostic machines using professional
- guidelines, clinical experience and manufacturers' specifications.
- Investigates equipment/ system malfunctions and operational difficulties in conjunction with Medical Equipment Repairers.
- Performs acceptance testing and initiated periodic quality control testing for related new equipment acquisitions within the Service
- Delivers presentation at local and national professional meetings and serves on various boards and organizations as befitting the academic community.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Telework: Not available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Physicist/PD029280
Recruitment Incentive: ***May be Authorized***
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/555127400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.