The position is located in the Technical Services Branch, Western Federal Lands Highway Division (WFLHD). You will serve as the Supervisor of the Geotechnical Section with responsibility for project development of the geotechnical portions of the Federal Lands Highway Program up to and through contract award, and for serving in a technical support capacity on geotechnical elements and issues in administering construction contracts.Learn more about this agency
The Supervisory Civil Engineer (Geotechnical):
- Solves complex geotechnical engineering problems in regard to highway design and construction, including pavement engineering/rehabilitation.
- Coordinates with project managers and other functional managers in developing scope, schedule, and budget of individual highway projects, as related to the geotechnical elements and deliverables necessary for project development.
- Provides technical advice and assistance during the feasibility and planning stages of proposed projects.
- Provides recommendations on preliminary design criteria and highway projections.
- Determines needs for A/E services. Provides technical review and oversight of geotechnical consultant services.
- Provides or oversees technical assistance in the selection and award of consultant services contracts by preparing the description of scope of work, reviewing submittals and participating in negotiations.
- Performs these duties and exercises the authority of the Contracting Officer's Technical Representative (COTR) in overseeing the performance of consultant services contracts.
- Communicates well, both orally and in writing, and prepares and presents technical papers and explains issues that are conflicting or controversial in nature.
- Serves as the supervisor for the WFLHD Geotechnical Team, consisting of a mix of engineers, geologists and technicians.
- Performs a range of leadership duties that include assigning and reviewing work, coaching, conducting performance appraisals, providing technical counsel, approving leave, and recommending awards and disciplinary actions.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience and full professional knowledge of geotechnical engineering concepts, processes, practices. They will have practical experience in soil mechanics, foundation engineering, slope stability analysis, landslide engineering, geotechnical laboratory testing, field exploration, and geotechnical computer programs. The ideal candidate will also have the ability to lead the Geotechnical Section in delivering quality products and services on time and within budget. They are keenly interested in the success of the organization and have the skills and enthusiasm to coach, mentor, and develop each employee to his or her full potential. The ideal candidate is passionate about Federal Lands’ mission, and is able to clearly articulate that mission and geotechnical specifics to partners and potential customers. Experience in highway/bridge design and construction is highly desirable.
Occasional travel - Some travel is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/554491300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.