Learn more about this agency
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is part of what is arguably the largest and most diverse astrophysical institution in the world, where the staff carries out a broad program of research in astronomy, astrophysics and earth and space sciences. If you would like to join this exciting organization, apply today!
1. Act as a lead systems administrator by providing technical direction and serving as a main point of contact for system information and procedures
2. Interface with other Chandra group leaders, computer specialists, engineers, and
scientists in evaluating needs for the LAN and system software, defining requirements,
developing implementation plans, and supporting software design and development,
Configuration Management, testing and integration, and other OCC and site needs.
3. Support Windows and Linux servers and desktops. Develop plans for implementing new
services and expanding roles of servers.
4. Responsible for LAN security by staying abreast of Computer Emergency Response
Team (CERT) advisories and vendor-supplied security problems and fixes. Designs,
recommends, and implements security improvements and security problem resolutions.
5. Conceive, implement, and make recommendations based on studies relating to OCC
computing needs and performance including system backup and recovery strategy, LAN
performance, optimization of systems resources (disk, CPU, memory), application
evaluation, writing utilities such as shell scripts to provide LAN resource information to
users, and others as required by the supervisor.
6. Interface with manufacturers of hardware and software to provide up-to-date information
on available products. This includes review of Windows/Linux products, those available
from third parties, and public domain utilities.
7. Serve as point of contact for OCC computer users requiring assistance or instruction in
the use of the OCC LAN.
8. Fulfills other systems related responsibilities as requested by supervisor.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/554110500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.