The IT Specialist (Application Software) will administer, develop, deliver, and support information technology (IT) systems and services. Will be knowledgeable of IT principles, concepts, and methods; e.g., data storage, software applications, and networking.Learn more about this agency
Work in the Technical Category at this pay band is characterized by such assignments as:
- Collects, records and analyzes data/information; identifies problems; and performs analysis.
- Plans and carries out projects for collecting detailed data or information from primary sources. Such projects are typically a part of a large and continuing program. Plans and analyzes data. May suggest data sources and prepare interpretive reports of limited scope.
Characteristic information technology assignments in the Application Software specialization at this pay band include:
- Provides technical guidance in designing, coding, testing, debugging, and maintaining standard programs.
- Translates and interprets easily defined functional requirements.
- Applies computer assisted software engineering (CASE) tools to the design and development process.
- Tests, installs, implements, documents, and maintains standard software.
- Maintains source code and modifies and upgrades code as necessary.
- Participates in efforts to enhance software reliability through discussions of enhanced application design methodologies; e.g. Capability Maturity Model (CMM).
- Updates standards used to develop object-oriented graphical user interfaces.
- Applies standards to the design, development, and integration of new reusable systems components.
Performs a mixture of routine and multiple and varying assignments under the limited direction of a manager, project/program manager, team leader, or more experienced technical specialist. Acts as an individual contributor and/or member of a team. May perform some leadership functions for small projects/programs/teams.
Applies experience and detailed technical knowledge applicable to his/her discipline to plan and accomplish assignments. Typical assignments may include: limited system development; collecting, recording and analyzing data/information; identifying problems; performing investigation and inspection activities; and initiating compliance and enforcement actions.
Demonstrate some independence in planning time and using assigned resources to accomplish assigned resources to accomplish assignments and small projects.
Contacts are primarily internal to the organizational unit, major subdivision, and LOB/SO with some contact with customers and external organizations. Contacts are typically intended to share information, provide data and/or written analyses, and discuss the statuses of assignments. In some technical areas, may have regular contact with customers and/or external organizations.
Established policies/procedures provide guidance for most assignments, but allow some discretion to select the most appropriate approach. Typically receives guidance on selecting approach from a manager, project/program manager, team leader, or more experienced technical specialist. May provide recommendations to improve work processes.
Frequently refers difficult problems and work issues to a manager, program/project manager, team leader, or more experienced technical specialist when guidelines are not available or applicable.
Work is reviewed periodically during assignments and at completion to ensure timeliness and technical compliance with the requirements of the project or other work activity.
Work activities typically support the activities of the organizational unit and may affect project/program objectives for the major subdivision and the LOB/SO. In some areas, the work may affect the safety and security of customers.
25% or less - The job may require up to 25% travel.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/554016000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.