VA Nurses enjoy include 26 vacation days along with 13 days of sick leave annually. Your hours are guaranteed. No more low census! Weekend premium is 25% of base pay and evening/night shift differential is 10% of base pay. In addition to the FERS retirement basic benefit, VA matches up to 5% of contributions to the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) 401k equivalent.Learn more about this agency
Duties assigned this position include, but are not limited to:
- Applies problem-solving skills at the specialty level, using the team approach to identify, analyze and resolve problems.
- Uses sound clinical judgment in assessing, planning, implementing, documenting and evaluating nursing care.
- Helps the Clinic Manager/Service Chief in developing and evaluating programs for optimizing patient care in assigned areas.
- Frequently engages co-workers/team in active problem-solving regarding clinical issues leading to an improvement.
- Supports staff in providing a full range of nursing care to clients with complex care needs, assuming responsibility and accountability for nursing actions.
- Reinforces and clarifies policies and procedures in the areas.
- Uses expert clinical judgment in coordinating the delivery of care resulting in a positive impact/improvement at the program and/or Service level.
- Guides staff in the implementation of the nursing process and evaluation of patient care outcomes.
- Is innovative and self-directed in evaluating complex and sophisticated programs for optimizing patient care and enhanced management resources.
- Actively participates in the development of Service philosophy, objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care delivery system for assigned area of responsibility.
- Prioritizes problems and identifies specific goals.
- Provides guidance to others implementing patient/family teaching programs at the Service level.
- Attends and actively participates in mandatory training and meetings, to include staying up- to-date on required TMS trainings and maintaining an active, unrestricted nursing license in an approved state or territory.
- Provides nursing care management for assigned Veterans in between their scheduled appointments and follow-up for missed or no-showed appointments.
- Helps to ensure continuity of care for assigned Veterans discharged from residential or inpatient treatment facilities (must have 4 appointments within 30 days of discharge) as well as Veterans place on a new or continued high-risk flag (must have 4 appointments, 1 a week for the 4 weeks following the flag placement/continuation).
- Develops a mechanism to ensure that nursing care is being delivered in a timely and appropriate manner in accordance with Nursing policies procedures, and standards of Nursing practice and practitioner's orders.
- Advocates for patient's rights with other healthcare providers as necessary and encourages staff to act as patient advocates.
- Is familiar with the facility policy for Medical Urgencies (Nursing Alerts) and participates appropriately.
- Identifies potential for unsafe patient and/or staff situations and initiates appropriate interventions.
- Leads appropriate crisis prevention/intervention for patients exhibiting at risk behavior(s).
- Ensures compliance with infection prevention policies/procedures, safety measures, and computer security.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP): This position is eligible for EDRP, a student loan reimbursement program. If selected for this position you must meet specific individual eligibility requirement and submit your application within four months of appointment. The final award amount (up to $200,000) and eligibility period (one to five years) is determined by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services office.
This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/553608900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.