WHAT IS THE WAGE AND INVESTMENT DIVISION? The Wage & Investment Division (W&I) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. W&I provides high-quality taxpayer assistance, and enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns and make payments.
See Other Information for Locations.Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A LEAD TAX EXAMINING TECHNICIAN DO? As a Lead Tax Examining Technician you will resolve complex individual return cases that cannot be processed by a tax examiner timely. You may be required to communicate with organizations outside of ERS (Accounts Management, Taxpayer Advocacy Service, etc.). Your assignments may include ensuring inventory control, recognizing procedures that are preventing a case from being processed, and ensuring that all updates or change in procedures are being communicated with the tax examiners. If you will use your technical as well as communication skills to instruct your workgroup in the processing individual returns electronically.
As a Lead Tax Examining Technician you will:
- Deal tactfully with individuals on controversial or sensitive matters, and communicate effectively, both orally (OJI) and in writing in order to prepare and present information and coordinate work or provide feedback to internal and external customers.
- Prepare accurate inventory reports each week. Keep daily records of receipts and closures so weekly totals are correct.
- Recognize changes which effect procedures and consequences that others are not aware of.
- Interpret information correctly and take the most effective and appropriate action to resolve the issue.
- Identify prior and current year returns and corrects errors according to IRM/local procedures per current or prior instructions. Use required systems (i.e. AMS, IDRS, Mef, and EUP) to interpret IMF return information for processing and proper routing.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/552871300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.