The Associate Director, Human Resources Operations, will provide leadership & oversight for the US DOT, Office of the Secretary (OST) Volpe National Transportation Systems Center (Volpe Center) and Transportation Safety Institute (TSI) in the areas of planning, directing, and administering Workforce Planning & Development, Workforce Acquisition & Staffing, and Employee & Labor Relations Programs. This position is located in Cambridge, MA and reports to the Departmental Office of HR Management.Learn more about this agency
As the Associate Director of Volpe HR Operations, you will:
- Provide supervision and leadership to a diverse staff of professionals, including several branch chiefs/team leaders, performing all aspects of human resources management.
- Work collaboratively with the OST HR Operations Division in Headquarters to provide consolidated approaches and responses to a variety of Departmental and Federal requests.
- Coordinate with senior managers and union officials on strategic workforce issues in order to meet workforce goals, make the most effective utilization of staff, and create and maintain a strong performance and results-driven culture.
- Provide oversight on the full range of human resources management programs including: position management, position classification, pay administration, recruitment, merit promotion, placement and staffing, performance management, awards and recognition, employee relations, learning and professional development, employee benefits and services, and HR information systems and record keeping.
- Develop and implement human resources goals, policies, standards, programs, and procedures to meet the needs of the OST Volpe Center and Transportation Safety Institute (TSI).
- Play an integral and critical role in planning and decision-making processes to ensure that merit system principles are observed in executing human resources actions.
- Serve as principal advisor on all human resources management matters. Participate in planning which could affect human resources requirements through curtailment or increase in funds, termination or initiation of new programs, reorganizations, or mission changes.
- Develop human capital strategies and plans, workforce plans, succession plans; identify current and future workforce competencies; establish HR policy and practices; provide HR consultative support; initiate and conduct appropriate HR program evaluations; measure and improve HR performance; and manage the HR budget.
- Maintain effective working relationships with internal and external partners, including DOT Operating Administrations, other Federal agencies, and academia. to Advance the goals of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) by taking positive steps to ensure the accomplishment of affirmative action objectives and by adhering to non-discriminatory employee practices in regards to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation or disability.
The ideal candidate for this position is an individual with several years of leadership experience in a federal human resources office, including experience with the development and implementation of federal human resources policy and human capital strategies. Experience should include evaluation of the human resources programs to improve operational effectiveness and efficiency and to promote customer satisfaction. An ideal candidate is politically savvy and able to balance competing interests among a variety of clients and to readily readjust priorities to respond to pressing and changing client demands.
The office is located in the culturally diverse and academically rich city of Cambridge, MA (Kendall Square), and offer competitive benefits, and a flexible and family-friendly work environment including on-site child-care services.
Occasional travel - Occasional Travel
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/552361100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.