The Office of Chief Counsel, IRS, the largest tax law firm in the country, is looking for enthusiastic individuals to join our team and gain valuable experience in a legal environment. Our mission is to serve America's taxpayers fairly and with integrity by providing correct and impartial interpretation of the internal revenue laws and the highest quality legal advice and representation for the Internal Revenue Service. It's a great place to work and a family-friendly atmosphere.Learn more about this agency
This position is located in the Office of Division Counsel/Associate Chief Counsel (Criminal Tax) (DC/ACC). The incumbent serves as an Area Counsel within DC/ACC and is responsible for the effective supervision, management and performance of legal services in support of Criminal Investigation, Internal Revenue Service (CI), within an assigned geographic area. The Area Counsel has been delegated authority by the DC/ACC to provide legal advice and support to CI Directors, Field Operations (DFOs), and Special Agents in Charge (SACs) at all stages of criminal investigations and to supervise the Senior Counsel and Criminal Tax (CT) attorneys within the Area.
As an Area Counsel the incumbent of this position:
- Coordinates with CI DFOs and SACs to ensure proper levels of legal advice and support. Coordinates with other Area Counsel (CT), National Office management and the Department of Justice to ensure national consistency of legal advice. Identifies and alerts CT senior management of emerging issues, problems and areas of non-compliance.
- Within guidelines established by the DC/ACC, establishes and monitors performance measures and program goals for providing legal services within the CT organization.
- Manages field operations and staff, including Senior Counsel and CT attorneys, within the assigned Area, and resolves problems in the operations of field offices; elevates appropriate issues as necessary to assure IRS-wide consistency of resolution. Implements the CT business unit strategy and goals that enhance compliance with the tax laws. Manages the legal operations of the Area offices. This includes ensuring that attorneys provide legal advice to CI throughout the entirety of an investigation and properly review special agent's reports recommending prosecution. The Area Counsel makes recommendations to the DC/ACC concerning defending or appealing lower court decisions in criminal cases.
- Works with CI DFOs and SACs to ensure national consistency, yet retain local expertise. The Area Counsel maintains close coordination with the CI DFOs and SACs, or, as appropriate, with the U.S. Attorneys, officials of the Department of Justice and other law enforcement agencies. Assists the CI DFOs and SACs by ensuring that all legal services are provided in a timely and responsive manner. Implements and evaluates operational policies and procedures designed to improve the delivery of legal services. Provides day-to-day legal advice to CI DFOs, SACs, and other CI personnel within the geographic area, and is responsible for providing timely, quality legal support through field advice, training, and other initiatives.
- Coordinates with other functions of the Office of Chief Counsel and the Internal Revenue Service on civil tax matters that might affect or be affected by matters under criminal investigation.
- Responsible for the overall management of the Area offices. Assures continued coordination, control and direction of the offices so that the organizational objectives, policies, procedures and programs are implemented effectively. Assures that subordinate supervisors operate as an effective management team; assures that all management functions are being handled equitably and in a manner that is responsive to the needs of the client. Assigns work, reviews the work products and appraises the performance of subordinate personnel. Ensures that performance and program goals, strategies and organizational policies are clearly communicated to employees.
Occasional travel - 5% or greater
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/552318700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.