Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below for IMPORTANT additional information.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to provide engineering analytical and project management expertise to support facility design/acquisition/implementation efforts in support of the US Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) Mission.
Organizational location of position is at: Langley AFB, VA
- Leads the Wing enterprise's facilities requirements analysis and planning efforts
- Leads planning and programming for Military Construction (MILCON) projects and Sustainment, Repair and Modernization and Demolition (SRM-D) projects
- Provides building and facility design/development/construction oversight through all phases of the project life cycle
- Provides technical expertise to activities, staff, installations, and other organizations in order to resolve difficult/unusual facilities planning, design, construction, and/or maintenance problem/issues, and communicates critical issues
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- All new DCIPS employees are required to complete a two-year DCIPS trial period.
- Position is designated special-sensitive and requires eligibility for access to Sensitive Compartmented Information. A security clearance may be required.
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized
- This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal and Regulatory Guide
- Position may be subject to random drug testing
- Mobility is a condition of employment. The employee must sign an Air Force wide mobility agreement
- Incumbent is required to file an OGE-450, "Confidential Financial Disclosure Report", upon appointment, and annually thereafter in accordance with DODD 5500.7
- Extensive after duty or extended hours may be required to satisfy urgent operational support requirements
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- The work will require the employee to drive a motor vehicle. An appropriate, valid driver's license is required for the position
- Work will require travel away from the normal duty station approximately 20% of working time to perform TDY to CONUS and OCONUS locations and to travel in military and/or commercial aircraft
- Must have a bachelor's degree in a related discipline such as computer or electronics engineering, computer science, or mathematics. A Master's degree in a technical related field is highly desired
- May act as project liaison with the Army Corps of Engineers or other design agencies as required
- May be required to serve on A and E selection boards. May be required to obtain job related certifications
QualificationsThis is a GG-14 position in the Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). The GG-14 duties for the "Professional" work category are at the "Senior" work level and are equivalent to those at the GS-14 level.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: Degree: Professional Engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
A combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following: Professional registration, written test, specified academic courses or related curriculum.
NOTE: This position has a positive education requirement. If transcripts are not provided, your resume MUST list the appropriate academic field (e.g. biology, mechanical engineering, economics, sociology, etc.) and all courses you have taken (including those failed), which appear to satisfy the qualification requirements of the position for which you are applying. List graduate and undergraduate courses separately. Include the descriptive title and course code, completion date, grade, number of semester, quarter or classroom hours (for education completed at business, secretarial, technical school or military schools) and graduate and undergraduate classes. **As of 1 Sep 2016, current internal employees must provide their transcripts. Failure to do so will result in not being referred for the position.**
NOTE: IN ADDITION TO MEETING THE BASIC REQUIREMENTS ABOVE APPLICANT MUST ALSO MEET THE QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS LISTED BELOW.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Your resume must reflect quality level experience which demonstrates the possession of the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies necessary for successful job performance required for this position. Quality experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Such experience is typically gained in the Scientist and Engineer field or through the performance of work where the primary concern is General Engineer. The employing agency is responsible for defining the specialized experience based on the requirements of the position being filled. Examples of specialized experience include Professional knowledge of a wide range of engineering or architectural theories, concepts, principles, practices, techniques, and methods to apply advanced concepts and principles to building design, construction processes, and project management. Note: Creditable experience may include previous military experience, experience gained in the private sector, or experience gained in another government agency.
To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/
Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/general-engineering-series-0801/
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Professional knowledge of a wide range of engineering or architectural theories, concepts, principles, practices, techniques, and methods to apply advanced concepts and principles to building design, construction processes, and project management.
2. Thorough knowledge of design/construction standards, methods, practices, techniques, materials, and contracting procedures relevant to executing assigned contracts/projects.
3. Knowledge of and skill in applying current US laws and regulations, as they pertain to Facility Engineering, with emphasis on the DoD MILCON and SRM-D process.
4. Knowledge of standard programming, budget, funding processes.
5. Ability to forecast, develop, and evaluate resource requirements pertaining to assigned project(s), and develop concise written technical information appropriate for any specific audience.
6. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with senior officials from a broad array of activities, including federal and local government and industry.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: If position has a positive degree requirement or education forms the basis for qualifications, you MUST submit transcriptswith the application. Official transcripts are not required at the time of application; however, if position has a positive degree requirement, qualifying based on education alone or in combination with experience, transcripts must be verified prior to appointment. An accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education must accredit education. Click here to check accreditation.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Current Federal Civilian employees may apply for temporary and term positions and if selected, a break in service of more than three (3) calendar days may be required prior to appointment to the position.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition.
120-Day Register: This announcement may result in a 120-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 120 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Selectees who physically reside permanently in the U.S., the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or Northern Mariana Islands, and the Possessions of the U.S., during the entire recruitment process (application, selection, and acceptance of a formal job offer) and selected for employment in the foreign area are eligible to receive certain foreign area benefits such as: Living Quarters Allowance (LQA) or government quarters, Post Allowance, Home Leave, etc. (subject to approval)
Selectees who physically reside outside the U.S., the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or Northern Mariana Islands, and the Possessions of the U.S., during any step of the recruitment process (application, selection, and acceptance of a formal job offer) will have foreign area benefits eligibility be determined on a case by case basis.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance and Relocation Income Tax Allowance to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on these allowances and eligibilities, visit: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. Applicants who do not submit required documentation to determine eligibility and qualifications will be eliminated from consideration. Other documents may be required based on the eligibility/eligibilities you are claiming. Click here to view the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide and the required documents you must submit to substantiate the eligibilities you are claiming.
- Online Application: Questionnaire
- Resume: For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position. If you are a current Federal employee or previous Federal employee, provide your pay plan, series and grade, i.e. GS-0301-09. Current Federal Civilian Employees should list any relevant performance related rating (given within the last three years) and/or incentive awards in your resume. Do NOT include photographs (or links to social media such as LinkedIn), inappropriate material, inappropriate content, nor personal information such as age, gender, religion, social security number, etc., on your resume.
- Transcripts/Registration/License: If qualifying on education/position requires education, you must submit copies of your transcripts and if required for the position, submit an active, current registration/license.
- Current or Former Federal Civilian Employees (includes current Air Force employees): You must submit a legible copy of a SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action. The SF-50, block 24 must contain "1" or "2" AND block 34 must be a "1". Employees eligible under an OPM approved interchange agreement, block 34 may contain a "1" or "2".
- Promotion Consideration: If you wish to be considered as a promotion candidate and your SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you meet the one-year time-in-grade requirements. You will need to provide additional SF-50s which clearly demonstrates you meet the time-in-grade requirements (examples of appropriate SF-50s include Promotions, Within-Grade, Grade/Range Increases, and SF-50s with an effective date more than one year old).
- OCONUS - Current or Former Federal Civilian Employees (includes current Air Force employees): You must submit a legible copy of a SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action. The SF-50, block 24 must contain "1" or "2" and block 34 must be a"1". Employees eligible under an OPM approved interchange agreement, block 34 may contain a "1" or "2". NOTE: For OCONUS employees who claim eligibility MSP or Family Member Preference, your SF-50 may contain a "3" in block 24 and a "2" in block 34.
Performance Appraisals for Current Federal Civilian Employees - Most recent performance appraisals (dated within last 3 years) showing the official rating of record, signed by a supervisor, or statement why the performance appraisal is unavailable.
Awards for Current Federal Civilian Employees - Copies of any award received within the last 3 years.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 12/03/2019
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10659194
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent."
- It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name.
4.Return Rights:Per AFI 36-1101 - DCIPS employees have no statutory right of return to the previous position, unit, or geographic location.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10659194
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
550 C Street W
JBSA Randolph AFB, TX 78150
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/552100000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.