This position is located within the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) serves as the principal fiscal officer of FRA and directs, coordinates, controls, and ensures the adequacy of FRA fiscal plans, programs and policies.Learn more about this agency
The CFO provides executive direction and leadership to a comprehensive financial management program to ensure the effective operation of the budget process, proper utilization of and accounting for the FRA's resources, and up-to-date information on the status of program funds. As a strategic business partner who is vital to agency operations, the CFO provides financial advisory services to all levels of FRA management responsible for efficient and effective program delivery.
The ideal candidate for this position will bring a business perspective to the position to assist program managers in making sound decisions and to ensure FRA's mission is executed in accordance with its organizational performance plan. FRA is seeking an effective organizational leader who can balance the responsibilities of fiscal stewardship with programmatic partnership. The ideal candidate must be competent in risk management, problem solving, strategic planning and effective human capital development and management.
As the FRA CFO, you will:
- Serve as FRA’s principal official for establishing and monitoring a system of internal controls, consistent with Departmental policy and OMB circular A-123.
- Develop and apply Federal financial management policies and procedures in budgetary development, formulation, presentation, and execution.
- Lead the development of complementary budget plans and the establishment of budgetary targets and ceilings to achieve policy and planning objectives.
- Serve as the FRA principal representative with the Office of the Secretary of Transportation, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), the General Accounting Office (GAO), and key officials in all other agencies, State and local governments, and the general public.
- Provide executive oversight for FRA's budget formulation and budget execution. Ensure that FRA's
key policy objectives and legislative requirements are reflected in all budget justification and other supporting materials.
- Function as FRA’s principal point of contact for all financial audit issues and findings. Work with the Inspector General, the GAO, and contracted auditors to address and resolve material weaknesses and reportable conditions.
- Establish FRA budget, financial and accounting policies and procedures, and ensure adequate internal controls throughout the financial management process.
- Participate in the development of long-range budget plans and establishment of budgetary levels. Allocate and administer fiscal and ceiling controls of personnel resources.
- Provide executive leadership in the development and use of innovative transportation finance practices.
- Lead the development of annual financial performance plans and reports covering FRA’s program activities. Participate in goal setting, performance measurement, and accountability.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/551850300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.