WHAT IS THE FMSS DIVISION? FACILITIES MANAGEMENT & SECURITY SERVICES (FMSS) DIVISION customers are IRS employees. FMSS identifies and delivers value-added, cost efficient, shared service solutions, that facilitate the success of the IRS mission.
Learn more about this agency
See Other Information for Locations
WHAT DOES A BUILDING MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST/CONSULTANT DO? Building Management Specialists provide technical advice, consultation, and assistance to management on assigned program issues. In the position, you will be responsible for planning, analyzing, and implementing critical service functions in the areas of landscape management/snow removal, alterations/construction management, food services (e.g., cafeteria and canteens) operations, recycling/shredding services, providing back-up support for the energy management and utilities program and other related programs. You will also serve as a Contracting Officer’s Technical Representative (COTR) on one or more contracts. These services frequently impact multiple delegated IRS locations and organizations.
As a Building Management Specialist you will have responsibility for carrying out duties pertaining to one or more of the following support services programs you will:
Energy Management and Utilities Duties:
- Track demand, consumption and cost data and prepare Annual Energy Report with supporting narrative.
- Develop and implement site Energy and Water Management Plans.
- Identify opportunities to conserve energy and reduce water consumption.
- Coordinate energy audits in accordance with required frequencies and develop implementation plan for recommendations.
Landscape Management/Snow Removal Duties:
- Responsible for the daily landscape management program (e.g., grass cutting and edging, tree and shrub pruning/removal, herbicide and pesticide application, fertilization, mulching, erosion control, irrigation schedules, seasonal flowers, etc.)
- Coordinate pest issues with State or local Departments of Agriculture.
- Plan and implement the campus snow removal efforts and apprise upper management of campus conditions during snow/ice-related weather events.
Construction Management Duties:
- Prepare cost estimates for building infrastructure retrofit and repair projects.
- Reviews construction drawings and specifications prepared by architects, engineers and consultants and provide comments.
Food Services Duties:
- Monitor menu variety, pricing, food temperatures, sanitation procedures and trash disposition.
- Consult with state agencies to provide canteen and/or cafeteria services.
- Stay current on recycling procedures and rebate prices.
- Promote the recycling program to building occupant and track material volume.
Janitorial Service Duties:
- Responsible for the daily janitorial services program (e.g., standard and clinical cleaning, trash removal, and pest control).
- Coordinate cleaning schedules and coordinate with other sections on the impact of large-scale furniture installations or realignments on janitorial services.
Operations & Maintenance Duties:
- Responsible for the daily operations and maintenance program of major building infrastructure components, some of these include mechanical and electrical systems, life safety systems, elevators/escalators, Uninterruptible Power Systems (UPS), cooling tower chemical treatments, plumbing systems, lighting control systems, windows, flooring systems, site drainage systems etc.
- Consult and coordinate Building Delegation programs and responses with other sections on the impact of Agency initiatives and with Safety and Mission Assurance staff on a variety of security and health and safety issues (e.g., Indoor Air Quality, hazmat incidents, OSHA investigations, security reviews, emergency conditions etc.)
Contracting Officer’s Technical Representative (COTR) Duties:
- Monitor legislation, regulations and industry standards such as National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), National Electrical Code (NEC) and American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) to identify new or changed requirements and assesses impact on local services.
- Make personal inspections of services and provide authoritative technical advice and contract interpretations pertaining to the Building Delegation programs
- Prepare the Government Cost Estimate Prepares budget projections, and track funding and spending.
- Troubleshoot significant problems with procedures, policies, and processes available to incumbent and develop creative means for resolving problems.
- WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/551748000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.