WHAT IS THE WAGE AND INVESTMENT DIVISION? The Wage & Investment Division (W&I) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. W&I provides high-quality taxpayer assistance, and enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns and make payments.
See Other Information for LocationsLearn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A TAX EXAMINATION TECHNICIAN DO? As a Tax Examination Technician you will perform work that involves resolving previously unsatisfied cases regarding difficult and/or sensitive taxpayer problems, complaints, or inquiries involving potential tax adjustments on all types of tax accounts. In this position, you will apply current and prior year tax rules, regulations, and procedures.
As a Tax Examination Tech you will:
- Analyze and resolve tax processing problems using research methods beyond information submitted by the taxpayer.
- Reconstruct and compile tax records in determining tax liability or refund entitlement.
- Identify claims and cite tax law and case actions./li>
- Adjusts current and prior year tax accounts involving complex account interrelationships or codes to override controls, retrieve data, and construct records from frozen accounts.
- Calculate taxes, penalties, and interest.
- Identify gaps in the internal procedures and processing methods.
- Provides technical assistance on systemic problems and inconsistencies in the IRM.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/551641800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.