WHAT IS THE WAGE & INVESTMENT DIVISION? The Wage & Investment Division (W&I) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. W&I provides high-quality taxpayer assistance, and enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns and make payments.
Learn more about this agency
See Other Information for Locations.
WHAT DOES A SOCIAL SCIENTIST DO? A Social Scientist serves as a technical expert making use of advanced behavioral and social science knowledge to execute projects and duties. You will be required to possess a thorough understanding of the basic social economic and social psychology problems. In this role, you will be responsible for the integration of the assigned study into the major social economic and social psychology research problem, and the planning and execution of sequential work steps.
As a Social Scientist you will:
- Provide technical advice in the development of specifications for all or a segment of the social science research study, presenting the data and analytical materials in the form most suitable to the end users.
- Develop and possibly lead research to locate new sources of social science data, analyses, and interpret pertinent information, draws conclusions for use in social science research studies.
- Demonstrate applicability of social science concepts and theories when framing research questions, analyzing data, and interpreting findings.
- Develop, analyze, and review social economic and social psychology statistical information in assigned area to present findings and for reasonableness and accuracy of the material produced for a given study.
- Assume responsibility for the effective use of resources within assigned subject matter projects and monitor such use to advise superiors of necessary remedial action or changes.
- Review internal and external technical papers, articles, and other reports that use social science data for technical accuracy and proper application of social science methods and statistical analysis, taking into account the limitations of the social economic and social psychology data to ensure updated techniques and procedures are used.
- Apply social science methods including social marketing, social norms marketing, anthropological marketing, and metaphor marketing to tax administration research to better understand taxpayer behavior and tax compliance.
- Stay informed of social economic and social psychology, statistical and tax literature through information disseminated from higher graded professionals for data and research methodology appropriate for inclusion in the research process and also as a means of helping to evaluate the reasonableness of the data.
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at https://www.jobs.irs.gov/.
Occasional travel - 1 to 5 nights per month
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/551612500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.