Incumbent is a professional social worker assigned to Springfield Outpatient Clinic aligned under the Mental health Program Manager within the Mental Health Service Line at VA Central Western MA Healthcare system.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent completes thorough psychosocial assessments as part of the consult process when the veteran's is initially referred. The incumbent works within a core treatment team milieu. S/he provides individual, group, couples, and family counseling, crisis intervention and referral for resources and benefits.
- Independently works with veterans and their families who are experiencing a wide range of complicated medical, psychiatric, emotional, behavioral, and psychosocial problems. Providing outpatient treatment to enhance and maintain community adjustment and maximize veteran's highest level of psychosocial functioning.
- Has working knowledge and experience in use of medical and mental health diagnoses, disabilities and treatment procedures. This includes acute, chronic and traumatic illnesses/injuries, common medications and their effects/side effects, and medical terminology.
- Independently identifies high-risk patients and provides case management services.
- Provides screening, triage, and brief treatment of patients not formally enrolled in treatment.
- Actively participates as a member of the interdisciplinary treatment team; collaborating with veterans and family as well as interdisciplinary treatment team in the development and implementation of an outpatient treatment plan.
- Provides consultation and education to veterans and their families regarding community resources, VA benefits and specialty programs, and advance directives. This includes the incumbent's knowledge of the process for accessing and/or coordinating community-based services, including information and referral for additional services from other VA programs, other government programs and community programs.
- Offers consultation to colleagues and students on the psychosocial treatment of mental health patients; rendering professional opinions based on experience and expertise and role modeling effective social work practice skills. Demonstrates the ability to teach and mentor staff and students in the special area of practice and to provide supervision for licensure or specialty certifications.
- Assisting with/providing program evaluation and monitoring activities with a focus on Quality Improvement opportunities and Risk Management within the program, Health Service Line, and Organization. Demonstrates the ability to design changes based on empirical findings.
-Compliance with agency directives, circulars, procedures, and policies; maintains records and statistics; compiles reports; prepares correspondence; makes entries in medical records; evaluates activities; and carries out special project assignments as required. Demonstrates ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing with people from varied backgrounds.
- Meets the needs of customers while supporting VA missions. Incumbent is able to provide the customer with consistent information according to established policies and procedures. Handles conflict and problems in dealing with the consumer constructively and appropriately.
Work Schedule: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/551315100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.