NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center (AFRC) is currently seeking interested candidates for the Director for Flight Operations position. The position reports to the AFRC Center Director and is responsible for the management and technical direction of all Directorate activities. He/she formulates policy, program implementation and direction of all flight operations for the Center.Learn more about this agency
**This vacancy has been amended to extend the closing date to Thursday, 12/19/2019.**
- Ensures development efforts and aircraft operations are being conducted and supported using safe methods with proper controls, sound technical basis, and sufficient attention to risk.
- Manages and technically directs all AFRC flight operations and support activities to accomplish project objectives of AFRC and other NASA centers.
- Provides the research piloting, life support systems and technical support for the maintenance, modification, repair, overhaul, and servicing of highly experimental research aerospace vehicles, including platform and unpiloted aerial vehicles.
- Performs aircrew duties to include piloting aircraft to allow the best supervision of Flight Operations.
- Provides guidance and management oversight of Flight Operations participation in advanced hypersonic and space programs.
- Serves as the senior management official on deployments and in the mission control center during flight test operations. Exercises final go/no-go authority regarding operational and flight safety issues.
- On remote flight operations, he/she represents the Center Director and makes decisions relative to flight safety and other matters.
- Develops engineering design, development, and qualification processes to enhance safety of flight, through hazards analysis, configuration control and quality assurance program implementation.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required for training or other work-related duties
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/551228800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.