The U.S. Department of the Treasury has a distinguished history dating back to the founding of our nation. As the steward of U.S. economic and financial systems, Treasury is a major and influential leader in today's global economy. We have over 100,000 employees across the country and around the world. Come Join the Department of the Treasury and Invest in Tomorrow.
See “Other Information” for Locations.Learn more about this agency
WHAT IS THE WAGE & INVESTMENT DIVISION? The Wage & Investment Division (W&I) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. Key W&I objectives are to provide high-quality taxpayer assistance, and to enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns, make payments and receive assistance. W&I partners with private organizations to provide assistance to such disadvantaged groups as elderly and low-income taxpayers.
WHAT DOES A DATA TRANSCRIBER DO? The Data Transcriber performs a vital role in the Service's ability to process thousands of tax returns each year. In this position, you will be responsible for examining incoming returns, perfecting them to ensure compliance with the required format, and finally processing the return using the systems and applications that you will be trained to operate. This process ultimately converts millions of paper documents, including a variety of taxpayer prepared returns and related schedules, federal tax forms, and other taxpayer information, to tape.
As a Data Transcriber you will:
- Review documents for specific requirements necessary for processing. Processes current year and/or prior year individual and/or business returns and related information.
- Bring documents into compliance with the required format or initiate action to obtain or clarify information not otherwise available.
- Identify and properly route correspondence (e.g., letters, powers of attorney, etc) to appropriate function for processing.
- Interpret taxpayer's intent from available data and complete the document in the required format.
- Identify and review Forms W-2 attached to Forms 1040EZ and 1040PC for conditions meeting Criminal Investigation criteria and code the returns appropriately.
- Prepare documents for scanning by detaching Forms W-2, correspondence, unnecessary schedules, etc. from the returns; removes staples and paper clips; and makes necessary repairs to ensure documents are scannable.
- Perform original entry, character identification, and/or data validation functions.
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/551160400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.