The General Counsel serves at the pleasure of the Executive Officer and works under the general supervision of the Deputy Executive Officer. The incumbent directs and manages the Office of General Counsel.
Please note: This position will be open until filled. Resumes will be reviewed once a week and Friday, November 1, 2019 will be the first review.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent is responsible for resolving complex and difficult legal issues concerning the D.C. Courts, supervises assigned staff, and performs varied legal advisory functions with independent responsibility for providing officials of the D.C. Courts with legal counsel in such broadly-defined areas as the following: appropriations, contract law, personnel, procurement and other court policy, rulemaking, tax issues, criminal and civil procedure, retirement provisions, and legal issues related to accounting.
Brief description of major duties:
- Advises the Joint Committee on Judicial Administration, Executive Officer, Chief Judges, Associate Judges, Magistrate Judges, and management personnel on federal and District laws, regulations and cases, opinions of the Comptroller General, and agency policies as they affect court operations.
- Directs and manages responses to oral and written requests for legal review, advice and recommendations from judicial officers and management officials on matters relating to court administration, appropriations, judicial procedures, procurement, personnel rights and benefits.
- Directs the Office of General Counsel’s answers to questions which are covered by interpretations of the Comptroller General or other legal authority and obtains guidance from the Government Accountability Office, the Office of Personnel Management, the Department of the Treasury, the Office of Management and Budget, and other agencies with respect to court issues.
- Provides sound and effective legal advice on questions of law or administrative policy involved in the operations of the Courts and their contacts with other agencies, private organizations, and the general public.
- Keeps abreast of legislative changes and proposed changes affecting the Courts so as to anticipate legal issues or risks.
- Directs and manages the preparation of legal requests and reports for submission to District or federal entities including the Government Accountability Office and the Office of Management and Budget.
- Serves as the senior liaison between the D.C. Courts and various federal and District of Columbia agencies concerning issues involving the Courts' responsibilities to the public and its employees and litigation involving the Courts or court employees.
- Directs the research and preparation of memoranda of law concerning the correct court procedures to follow in order to comply with statutory provisions, rules, and court decisions. Identifies areas where operations or conduct of personnel might be incompatible with statutes or regulations and proposes appropriate remedies in order to limit or mitigate the Courts' risk exposure.
- Serves as the legal advisor to various ad hoc committees of the Court of Appeals and the Superior Court.
Occasional travel - Conferences and meetings
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/549788000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.