WHAT IS THE WAGE & INVESTMENT DIVISION? The Wage & Investment Division (W&I) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. W&I provides high-quality taxpayer assistance, and enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns and make payments.
See Other Information for Locations.Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A LEAD CLERK DO? A Lead Clerk, either as a General or Mail and File, performs a vital role in the Service's ability to process, distribute and manage more than a million pieces of correspondence, including tax returns, each year. In this position, you will serve as a work leader over employees engaged in accomplishing day to day tasks either as a Mail and File or General Clerk. The Mail and File Clerk performs a critical role in processing both incoming and outgoing mail. On the other hand, the General Clerk is responsible for incoming and outgoing documents and files, once it is ready to be worked within the Business Division. Both of these clerks perform critical roles in the Services ability to serve million of taxpayers each year.
As a Lead Clerk you will:
- Serve as a work leader over employees engaged in accomplishing clerical work.
- Distribute, balance, monitor and report on workload in accordance with established workflow or job specialization. Assure equitable distribution among employees and timely accomplishment of assigned work load.
- Amend or reject work not meeting established standards and refers to supervisor any problems on meeting performance standards.
- Maintain current knowledge of procedures, policies and directives; answer questions; and provide both classroom and OJT instruction to employees.
- Resolve simple informal complaints, refers others to supervisor; report on performance, progress and training needs of employees and on other issues as appropriate.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/548453700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.