This is the position of Physicist (Post-Doctoral Research Fellow) in the Atomic and Molecular Physics Division of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. The purpose of this position is to train postdoctoral researchers to conceive, plan and conduct highly specialized research in incumbent's area of specialization. The incumbent will be expected to perform scholarly research and participate in making contributions to the physical fields of science.Learn more about this agency
The Post-Doctoral Research Fellow will perform research on atmospheric composition measurements, including those from ground-based instruments and Earth satellites. The Post-Doctoral Research Fellow will be part of a research group working to design, implement, and improve software for atmospheric measurements and to perform scientific research using such measurements. The software will include advanced algorithms for trace gas retrieval from GOME, SCIAMACHY, OMI, GOME2 and OMPS UV/visible. Research includes development and validation of satellite observations of formaldehyde, glyoxal and water vapor.
Duties of the position may include but are not limited to:
- Define scientific and system requirements to develop and evaluate advanced scientific and numerical algorithms. This will involve implementing retrieval algorithms for remote sensing of atmospheric constituents. Obtain necessary data to verify requirements and test software.
- Participate in the definition and design of scientific instrumentation to make advanced atmospheric measurements.
- Assist other scientists and/or programmers in developing programs for and in use of the satellite measurements.
- Perform scientific studies involving atmospheric measurements, global/regional atmospheric modeling, radiative transfer, tropospheric chemistry, and spectroscopy.
- Prepare refereed publications and present talks at professional meetings.
- Perform other duties as may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/548414900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.