This position serves as a Wildland Firefighter Apprentice on various wildland fire crews with responsibility for the operation and maintenance of specialized tools or equipment. The incumbent will be assigned into one or more types of positions within the wildfire program where the individual's specialized skills are required at one or more locations throughout the forest service.Learn more about this agency
Information about the Wildland Fire Apprentice program can be found at: https://www.nafri.gov/wfap/.
- As part of the Wildland Firefighter Apprentice Program, If selected, you may be subject to random mobilization that could last up to six months in order to develop the knowledge, skills and requirements of the position.
- Serves as an apprentice fire fighter on a wildland fire hand crew performing fire suppression and/or fuels management duties under the most adverse conditions or climate, fuels and terrain.
- Performs the duties of a fully qualified chain saw operator and chainsaw repair technician.
- Performs various aspects of wildland and prescribed fire operations including preparation, ignition, monitoring, holding and mop-up. May serve as driver of a crew carrier.
- Serves as a wildland firefighter on a wildland fire engine. Driving engines to fire locations, frequently over unimproved roads.
- Starting pump engine, priming pump, adjusting engine speed and pump valves, laying hose and using appropriate nozzles and nozzle adjustment in effective use of water and additives.
- May serve as a wildland firefighter on a helitack crew.
- Loading helicopter personnel and cargo considering methods, weight distribution, necessity for securing, total weight, etc. and completes manifests of personnel and equipment being transported to the fire or other work site.
- Performs wildfire suppression support as directed within training and physical and other duties as assigned.
- Duties listed are at the full performance level.
Occasional travel - Occasional overnight travel may be required for fire suppression or fire related assignments.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/548157300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.