This position resides in a Regional Office of the National Labor Relations Board. The Regional Office represents the operating branch of the Agency and performs the majority of the Agency's case handling work, including investigating representation petitions and unfair labor practice charges. This position is responsible for investigating and handling representation cases (R cases) of average complexity and a variety of unfair labor practice cases (C cases) of simple to average complexity.Learn more about this agency
The selectee of this position is responsible for performing the following duties:
- Maintaining electronic files in the Agency's electronic case filing system. Furnishes information and assistance to representatives of labor and management, attorneys, employees and the public.
- Exercising judgment concerning the merit of the case. Attempts to guide the parties toward voluntary action on withdrawals and agreements. Recommends institution of formal proceedings.
- Supervising representation elections on behalf of the Regional Director. Presiding over and conducting assigned public hearings or preliminary investigations. Preparing reports that recommend a course of action, including overruling or sustaining the objections and or challenges, upholding election results and issuance of a certificate.
- Drafting reports summarizing evidence, analyzing it under the appropriate legal standard, presents parties' positions and making recommendations as to merit. Attempts to reach informal settlement or adjustment through negotiation with the parties. Gathers evidence necessary to compute backpay and calculates amount owed. In non-settlement cases, drafts a complaint detailing the allegations found to have merit.
- Familiar with legal issues raised and the nature of evidence to determine whether allegations have merit. Upon supervisory approval, makes preliminary recommendations to the charging party to consider withdrawing the case.
- Serving as the principal investigator for all unfair labor practice cases assigned and is responsible for the collection of evidence relevant to the allegations raised and communication with parties to the case at each stage of the investigation.
- Assisting higher level examiners or attorneys in the investigation and negotiation for settlement of more complex unfair labor practice cases (e.g., boycotts, picketing, jurisdictional disputes). Carrying out substantial portions of the investigative interviews and legal and other background research and may participate in negotiations.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/547847700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.