This position is located in Defense Information Systems Agency, OC/NLCC Directorate (IMJ12) at Offutt AFB, Nebraska.Learn more about this agency
- Serves as a project management engineer performing technical consultation and /or program coordinator-reviewer services for the organization.
- Performs a broad range of unusual and controversial assignments relating to the engineering of information systems and architectures.
- Develops new and improved concepts, principles, and techniques that will advance the body of knowledge of computer science.
- Conceives, plans, and conducts work in unexplored areas where there is little or no theory to guide experimentation, progress is devious, new techniques and approaches need to be devised.
- Develops and designs new theoretical treatments, instrumentation, equipment and procedure for testing and solving problems.
- Conducts in-house research, investigations, as well as directing and monitoring contractor personnel.
- Formulates, guides, or directs analytical studies to develop strategies for achieving approved long rang objectives.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination.
- This is a drug testing position.
- Top Secret/ SCI security clearance required.
QualificationsTime in Grade:
For entry at the GS-14 level, status applicants must have served 52 weeks as a GS-13 or higher grade in the Federal Service.
For the GS-854 and GS-855 Professional Engineering Series:
Degree: professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
Combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
Specified academic courses
Related curriculum - With this criteria, applicants also need verification of employment from a supervisor stating you have performed professional engineering duties.For more detailed information on the above criteria, please go to http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/all-professional-engineering-positions-0800/
For the GS-1550 Computer Science Series:
Bachelor's degree in computer science or bachelor's degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. At least 15 of the 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus. All academic degrees and course work must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions.
For the GS-14, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service, or comparable in difficulty and responsibility to GS-13 if outside the Federal service, is required.
Specialized experience is defined as experience in Nuclear C3, Presidential/Senior Leadership communication and Continuity of Operations (COOP)/Continuity of Government (COG) communications.
In addition to meeting the specialized experience requirements, qualified applicants must also possess the quality of experience as it relates to how closely or to what extent an applicant's background, recency of experience, education, and training are relevant to the duties and responsibilities of the announced position. Candidates must clearly demonstrate the possession of knowledge, skills and abilities, or competencies necessary to successfully perform the work of the position at the appropriate level to be qualified for the position. Applicants must describe how their experience meets the competencies within the body of the resume. No separate statements addressing KSA's or competencies are required.
- General Engineering
- Information Technology Program Management
- Infrastructure Design
- Project Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Technical Competence
Qualification and time-in-grade requirements must be met within 30 days after the closing date of this announcement.
There is no substitution of education for the specialized experience requirement at this grade level.
- This position is subject to convert to a DOD Cyber Excepted position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1599f.
- Telework availability will be based upon the mission requirements and supervisory determination.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- Individuals tentatively selected for drug testing designated positions at the Defense Information Systems Agency will be required to submit to urinalysis for illegal drugs prior to appointment or placement.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 90 days of the closing date.
- Moving costs MAY be paid. They MUST be paid if a DISA employee is selected for the position. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 makes certain reimbursements/payments taxable. For information on these changes and the Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA), for which some appointees are eligible, click here.
- Recruitment, relocation, or retention incentives MAY be authorized.
- For more information on veterans' preference click here.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (to verify your registration status click here).
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
- The Department of Defense (DoD) policy on employment of annuitants issued March 18, 2004 will be used in determining eligibility of annuitants.
- This position is subject to the limitations imposed by the DOD Priority Placement Program.
- For more information regarding qualifications requirements please click here.
- You may submit a cover letter which will be forwarded to the selecting official with your resume. Your cover letter will not be used to verify your qualifications or eligibility.
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
The Assessment Questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
- General Engineering
- Information Technology Program Management
- Infrastructure Design
- Project Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Technical Competence
You can preview the Assessment Questionnaire here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10594762
FOR THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT THE FOLLOWING SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED AS THEY APPLY STATED BELOW AND MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE CLOSE OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT. NOT ALL DOCUMENTS WILL APPLY TO EVERYONE.
- Transcripts (Required) - This position has positive education requirements; you must submit all of your transcripts. The absence of this information will result in an ineligible rating.
- SF-50 - (if applicable) Notification of Personnel Action for current or former federal employees- with the exception of current permanent DISA employees, please provide your most recent SF50 or the SF50 reflecting Career/Career-Conditional tenure and the highest grade held on a permanent basis.
- Veterans Preference Documentation (if applicable):
- For Five Point Veterans Preference: DD-214 (Member Copy 4), or, if you are CURRENTLY serving on active duty, a statement of service from your unit which states the date you entered on active duty, the date you are separating, and the campaign medals you have received. For those supplying the statement of service, preference will be verified by a DD-214 (Member Copy 4) upon separation from the military.
- For Ten Point Veterans Preference: DD-214 (Member Copy 4). Veterans with a service-connected disability must also submit a VA letter dated 1991 or later.
- ICTAP Eligible (if applicable) - A copy of the RIF separation notice and SF50 if available.
- Military Spouse Preference (if applicable): Spousal Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders, marriage certificate/license, and a MILITARY SPOUSE PPP SELF-CERTIFICATION CHECKLIST are required to claim Military Spouse Preference. The Military Spouse PPP Self-Certification Checklist can be found here: Military Spouse PPP Self-Certification Checklist .
WARNING: Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by 11:59 PM (EST) on10/10/2019 , or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
- Your Resume
- Your resume MUST include the following information for each job listed: Job title; duties (be as detailed as possible); month & year start/end dates (e.g. June 2007 to April 2008); and full- time or part-time status (include hours worked per week). Read more about what should I include in my federal resume? at USAJOBS.
- DO NOT include the following information: Classified or government sensitive information; Social Security Number; Photos of yourself; Personal information, such as age, gender, religious affiliation, etc.; or encrypted and digitally signed documents. Read more about what should I leave out of my resume? at USAJOBS.
- A complete Assessment Questionnaire
- Other required supporting documents: (SEE BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION ON REQUIRED SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS)
- Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents.
- Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
- Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
HR Customer Care Center
AddressDISA - OC
6910 Cooper Road
Fort Meade, MD 20755-7088
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The occupational questionnaire and the resume that you submit will be used to assess your qualifications for the job, and to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/547797000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.