This position is located in the laboratory area of the Pathology & Laboratory Service at the New Mexico VA Health Care System and supported catchment area. The position is located at an assigned Veterans Administration medical facility performing clinical and anatomical laboratory work.Learn more about this agency
Typical duties include, but not limited to:
- Performs a broad range of laboratory procedures. In addition, performs advanced and complex laboratory procedures; recognizes deviation from expected results; analyzes and corrects problems using scientific principles. Recognizes and communicates pre-defined critical results affecting patient care.
- Evaluates and solves problems related to collection and processing of biological specimens for analysis taking into account physiologic processes and requirements.
- Maintains and documents the optimal functioning of laboratory equipment. Uses, calibrates, identifies malfunctions, repairs, and performs preventive maintenance of laboratory equipment. Diagnoses deviations in test performance due to instrument malfunction.
- Performs and documents quality control and quality assurance activities and corrective actions related to test performance using statistical principles and theories of performance improvement.- Adheres to practices and regulations governing bio-safety and bio-security in the workplace.
- Identifies discrepancies, solves problems, and suggests solutions.- Answers inquiries regarding test results, methodology, test specificity, test sensitivity, and specific factors, which influence test results. Interprets results and suggests follow-up test selection or procedures.
- Evaluates and implements new techniques and procedures in the laboratory in terms of equipment, method comparison, and establishment of reference intervals.
- Assists with instruction and training of new employees and students and in the laboratory's in-service/continuing education program.
- Communicates effectively and courteously while working as a healthcare team member. Provides excellent service as defined by the customer (healthcare providers, patients, and others). Gives direction and guidance using underlying principles of laboratory testing.
- Organizes work and sets priorities to meet deadlines.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Shift is dependent upon the position being hired and can be discussed during the interview process.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/547535600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.