What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
Open to current or former Federal employees: RES-2010-0367.
GS-11 Salary: $69,581 (Step 01) to $90,461 (Step 10); NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
GS-12 Salary: $83,398 (Step 01) to $108,422 (Step 10); NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.Learn more about this agency
As a Chemist, with the Eastern Mineral and Environmental Research Science Center, some of your specific duties will include:
• Serves as a technical specialist for analytical methods in the radiogenic isotope and trace element laboratories. Is responsible for developing, adapting and evaluating sample preparation and analysis methods that detect, identify and quantify chemical substances (in particular radiogenic isotopes such as U, TH, Pb, Sm, Nd, all REE, Rb, Sr) in water, soil, rock, vegetation, animal tissue and mixtures of the above, under the strict requirements of working in an Ulta-clean Lab, in consultation with the Project chief.
• Prepares geological, geochemical and microbiological samples for geochemical and analysis and prepares samples for analysis by TIMS and HR-ICPMS (Element 2). Performs chemical procedures on a broad range of samples that may include water, soil, sediment, rock, plant tissue, animal tissue or a combination. The analyses and tests will determine the chemical composition of substances, presence and identification of trace elements in water, tissue, rock or sediment.
• Works as a technical specialist who applies advanced knowledge of chemistry and the underlying theory and degree of skill and judgement in the use of specialized laboratory instrumentation; in particular, high resolution ICPMS, to perform analytical analysis of samples.
• Troubleshoots sample preparation procedures and analytical instrument systems to correct routine, but difficult problems. Detects unusual and/or unique situations in the application of established methods and recommends options to the Project Chief.
• Performs the analyses and tests and documents process and results, which include physical measurements, sample preparation, wet laboratory procedures, and instrumental analyses for standards, know-unknown and unknown materials, by adhering to laboratory QA/QC and all standard operating procedures in place for the facility.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/547186400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.