WHAT IS THE SMALL BUSINESS SELF EMPLOYED DIVISION: The Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) Division provides examinations and taxpayer education services for about 7 million small businesses and upwards of 33 million self-employed and supplemental income taxpayers.
Learn more about this agency
See Other Information for Locations
WHAT DOES A STATISTICIAN DO? Research, Applied Analytics, and Statistics Statisticians design and execute statistical studies of various filing populations, including individuals, corporations, partnerships, tax-exempt organizations, and international taxpayers. The estimates developed by Statisticians are used by staff in the Treasury department and the US Congress to examine the potential and actual impacts of tax policy decisions and to perform revenue estimation. Statistics and micro-level data are also used in the development of various National economic indicators. Statisticians also prepare tables, data visualizations, analysis, publications, and reports that provide accessible information on the tax system to the public. They may design samples of specific filing populations using administrative data, apply advanced disclosure techniques to protect taxpayer privacy in published statistics, or develop weight and sampling error estimates for samples. Research, Applied Analytics, and Statistics Statisticians work to apply statistical analysis to solve problems faced by the IRS in administering the tax code. Working independently or on a team, Research, Applied Analytics, and Statistics Statisticians select statistical methodologies and use software programs to analyze large datasets. Research, Applied Analytics, and Statistics Statisticians support senior decision makers at IRS, the Department of the Treasury, and Congress.
As a Statistician you will:
- Assume responsibility for the initiation, planning, implementation, controlling, modifying and executing of all or part of an entire research project, including such tasks as formulation of workload estimates for program segments, specification of the methodology to be used, preparation of appropriate specifications and procedures, and review computer systems specifications and materials and instructions needed for assuring the adequacy of a study's design.
- Prepare recommendations relating to strategic planning, oversight, and monitoring of budget, acquisitions, and human resources activities.
- Recommendations adopted facilitate management decisions in the arena of human capital investment strategies and, ultimately, impact overall organizational efficiencies.
- Assist the supervisor in determining the scope, goals and schedules for future programs in the Office. Act as a troubleshooter in resolving bottlenecks at any step in a program or research project.
- Resolve very complex problems requiring in-depth statistical and subject-matter knowledge.
- Participate in executive-level meetings as a representative of the supervisor.
- Produce tables and graphical materials using standard computer software packages.
- Review statistical literature for data and research methodology appropriate for inclusion in the research process and also as a means of helping to evaluate the reasonableness of data.
- Perform in-depth review and analysis for reasonableness and accuracy of all material produced for a given study, and provide guidance in this task to lower grade professionals based on in-depth knowledge of research requirements.
Please add the following to the duties section of the announcement:
Preferred to have knowledge and experience in: Statistical software (e.g. SAS, SQL, R) , Tableau, Microsoft Excel and/or Access
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov/.
25% or less - 1-5 nights of travel per month
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/546973400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.