The Department of Labor (DOL) seeks to attract and retain a high performing and diverse workforce in which employees’ differences are respected and valued to better meet the varying needs of the diverse customers we serve. DOL fosters a diverse and inclusive work environment that promotes collaboration, flexibility and fairness so that all individuals are able to participate and contribute to their full potential.Learn more about this agency
This position is located in the Office of Prices and Living Conditions (OPLC).
This announcement represents vacancies located within two different Divisions of OPLC. Incumbents may be required to independently perform the duties listed below depending on their office of assignment:
- Initiates and conducts analysis related to price index methodology, labor market information and data collected in various statistical surveys and/or for publications for the respective program area.
- Plans and prepares internal research reports, publishable technical reports, press releases, analytical articles or other summaries of survey results from the respective program area that are considered finished products. Provides guidance to junior economists in the area of economic and statistical analysis, technical writing, and other job-related duties.
- Act as project manager or team lead for special studies and process improvement projects related to the respective program area.
- Reviews, analyzes, and/or measures collected data, price developments and related factors, index calculations for assigned components of the monthly surveys to maintain the accuracy of the indexes for those components.
- Plans, coordinates, and participates in survey production and development activities for respective program area, including, but not limited to evaluating technical or procedural problems, recommending appropriate solutions, and directing their implementation. Other activities include overseeing the development of weight updates and associated maintenance activities
- Designs, initiates, and executes in depth methodological studies and/or projects to develop, examine and evaluate alternative means of measurement and analysis. Conducting these studies may require the development of new methodologies and procedures and, in view of the highly complex nature of the subject matter, the application of advanced and sophisticated mathematical and statistical techniques. Research may also involve designing, writing, and using computer programs or applications to produce specialized estimates and measure the effect of alternative methods on the estimate. The incumbent is responsible for the conceptual and statistical validity of the specific techniques and measures developed with respect to both accurate measurement and the overall theoretical framework of the respective program.
- Use statistical techniques such as regression analysis to analyze and summarize data and develop improved quality adjustments.
- Plan, coordinate and evaluate data collection procedures, computer processing requirements, training materials, formal project planning documents, monitoring and reporting progress, and identifying and implementing process improvements for respective program area.
- Coordinates and participates in the preparation and presentation of formal training.
- Guides the instructional design of program-related training and preparation of training materials.
- Develops and recommends the conceptual framework, data elements, and products of surveys in the respective program area
- Coordinates and participates in the preparation of technical instructions for, or documentation of computer systems/programs used for data collection, estimation, review or analysis, and publication.
- Use of common statistical software for analyzing and researching data from respective program areas and identifying and implementing product and process improvements.
- Represents the Section, Branch, Division, or Bureau as an expert at meetings to describe and explain program methodology, processes and procedures. The incumbent also represents the respective program at meetings and conferences with officials of government agencies, professional groups, research organizations, etc. to provide information and technical advice, or to discuss mutual problems related to the assigned field of specialization.
- This position is inside the bargaining unit.
- This position is at its full performance level.
- This position will not be filled until the Department's Placement Assistance Programs have been fully utilized.
- This vacancy announcement may be used to fill additional like positions in other BLS organizations.
- A writing sample may be required at the time of interview.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/546170300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.