This position is located in the Commission Services Branch of the Office of the Secretary. The Office of the Secretary (OS) is the official custodian of all official Commission documents and records. The Commission Services Branch is divided into two Sections: (l) the Minutes Section which is responsible for creating official and staff minutes recording Commission deliberations and decisions.Learn more about this agency
If selected for the Legal Administrative Specialist position you will perform the following duties:
- Initiate and compose standardized documents routinely needed for specific Commission actions.
- Perform preliminary screening of staff recommendations, prior to review by Commissioners and their Attorney Advisors, ensuring that recommendations follow Commission procedures, and that any delegation of authority is proper.
- Analyze staff recommendations and Commission circulations; advise legal staff of activity that may affect the investigation or litigation at issue.
- Process compulsory process documents by checking them for required information, determining whether any adjustment is necessary, and routing the assembled material to the Commissioners' offices for review.
- Accept service of legal documents, reviews them for correct form and timeliness, annotates case files and status records to reflect receipt and due date for response or other required actions, and forwards to the Commissioners' offices as appropriate.
- Locate and compile information from files.
- Prepare for Commission meetings and hearings by assembling and arranging case files, documents, and exhibits; and attend Commission meetings and hearings to be informed regarding matter progress, the development of new issues, and the identification of issues that have been resolved and of areas that need more emphasis.
- Draft notational minutes of Commission actions and compiles them into weekly, monthly and yearly collections; also drafts meeting reports, Secretary correspondence, interview reports, notices, stipulations and other routine orders; prepare tables of contents, memoranda and other such documents; and review and research citations, footnotes, textual references and other entries for accuracy.
- Compile and edit Federal Trade Commission Decision Volumes, including drafting case summaries describing significant issues presented and Order provisions, indexes, and tables of authorities and commodities.
- Establish and maintain the network folder structure and pertinent logs and calendars containing Commission action documents, Part 3 administrative litigation filings, draft orders, and correspondence.
- Establish, maintain, and close case files or systems of legal records, annotates indices and status records, compiles workload and status reports, and locate and abstract data from files and records.
- Input relevant information relating to Commission proceedings within the FTC's Matter Management System (MMS) and research, compile, and analyze historical MMS system data.
- Manage the entry of information and documents into the FTC's DocSmart document management system, and coordinates with the Records and Information Management (RIM) office on the maintenance of the DocSmart system.
- Conduct independent research projects and synthesizes information and/or data derived from such projects into reports or internal memoranda.
- Coordinate with the RIM office to ensure the proper and timely processing and service of official Commission documents.
- Search for legal precedents, analyzes their applicability, and prepares digests of points of law involved.
- Read and understand substantive materials, and index documents in accordance with legal categories determined by the attorney to whom assigned.
- Analyze legal issues involved in requests for agency records, and analyze documents for possible patterns and relevant trends.
- Analyze appellate records to isolate facts pertinent to distinct legal issues.
- Participate actively in internal discussions, and provide sufficient aid in decision making to address questions from other team members in a prompt and professional manner.
- Represents the Office at interdepartmental meetings concerning recordkeeping and document processing issues.
- Coordinate various support services as required to host closed Commission meetings, oral arguments in Part 3 adjudicative litigation proceedings, workshops, and rulemaking proceedings.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/545550900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.