The Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller) is responsible for carrying out the functions assigned by Section 135 of Title 10, United States Code, and ensuring the utmost economy and efficiency in the operations of the Department of Defense through solid management practices, sound policies informed by fiscal realities, and effective fiscal planning and control.Learn more about this agency
As the Associate Director, Ground, Sea and Other Programs, the incumbent will be responsible for the formulation, justification, execution and evaluation of extremely complex and variable military programs, and for applying a comprehensive understanding of budget and acquisition policy and procedures across a large number of weapon programs. Major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluating the funding requirements of Ground, Sea, and Other programs based on strategic military plans and applying judgment as to the level of production, stock levels, production lead times, attrition rates, availability of associated equipment and personnel, production capabilities, degree of modernization or modification, current and future pricing, and reasonable provision for contingencies.
- Evaluating relationships to other Defense expenditures, previous obligations and expenditure rates and other financial conditions.
- Participating with the senior staff of the Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisition and Sustainment) and the Under Secretary of Defense (Research and Development) in the technical and financial evaluation of Research and Development and procurement programs including budget formulation, budget execution, reprogramming of appropriated funds and approved/deferred schedules.
- Furnishing guidance to the subordinate staff as well as the budgetary staff of the Military Departments and Defense Agencies on the improvement and application of the analytical tools and methods of presentation in order to assist them in every possible way in the preparation and evaluation of comprehensive budget estimates.
- Analyzing and evaluating budget estimates (including supplemental and budget amendments) and budget execution programs, including the conduct of such investigations and hearings as may be necessary to determine the relevance, importance and necessity of various program funding proposals, and preparing written recommendations of budget adjustments for presentation to the Comptroller and Secretary of Defense.
- Maintaining direct contact with senior officials of the Military Departments and Defense Agencies in order to assure constant familiarity with the programs as they develop, and with the highly specialized equipment in such programs.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/545474700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.