About the Position: This position is with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Paul District. The applicant selected serves as a shift head Lock and Dam Operator at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers navigation facilities, Lock and Dam 5. The applicant selected directs employees in the operation of lock and dam equipment. The applicant selected also operates electrically, electronically, and/or hydraulically controlled lock or lock and dam gates, control valves, and other associated equipment.Learn more about this agency
- During shift operation exercises primary authority over use of lock through issuance of instructions to tow boat captains and other craft operators, the setting of precedence of entry, and through maintaining proper procedural operation.
- Serves alone or as responsible lead person of two-person crew responsible for making lockages.
- Handles bow or stern lines, walks lines to proper locations along wall and snubs lines to assist pilot in maneuvering craft into position.
- Operates electrical, electronic, and/or hydraulic gate controls to open and/or close gates at one end of lock chamber.
- Observes weather conditions, condition of craft desiring entry, etc., to determine propriety of entry from safety standpoint.
- Performs continuing and/or special operational or functional checks on machinery to avoid untimely or dangerous equipment breakdown, and identify when possible, development of unsafe conditions.
- Personally performs, assists in and/or directs journeyman or sub-journeyman work accomplished.
- Performs seasonal duties such as grass cutting, trimming, gardening, snow shoveling, clearing ice; as well as janitorial tasks such as cleaning control house and lock building, restroom facilities, standby equipment, etc.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel occasionally for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/545434800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.