This position is located in the Animal Resources Unit (ARU), and the incumbent is responsible for serving as the NBAF Attending Veterinarian (AV) and manager of the unit.Learn more about this agency
The mission of the ARU is to support all aspects of the care and use of animals at NBAF. This includes but is not limited to: providing oversight of all uses of animals at NBAF; procuring animals suitable for the scientific mission; providing routine care of animals including feeding, cleaning holding rooms, etc.
- Serves as the AV for NBAF as required by the Federal Animal Welfare Act (AWA) and ensures full compliance with the AWA and other relevant regulations, directives, policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Establishes and oversees all aspects of the NBAF Animal Care and Use Program.
- Oversees all aspects of the general health and welfare of all animals at NBAF which includes traditional laboratory animals such as mice, guinea pigs and rabbits; domestic livestock and poultry such as cattle, horses, sheep, goats, swine, etc.
- Advises ARS and APHIS Directors of Operations and other NBAF senior management officials on matters relating to the NBAF Animal Care and Use Program, use of animals to accomplish the scientific mission, developments and trends in animal welfare.
- Provides technical and administrative supervision to a professional and technical staff recognized for their professional and technical competence.
- Responsible for developing and/or editing position descriptions, making candidate selections for positions, assigning duties, reviewing work, approving/ disapproving leave and evaluating performance.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel up to 1 to 5 nights per month for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/544979500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.