The Registered Nurse in the Outpatient Chemotherapy Department practices under the Nursing Section of Patient Care Services within the Detroit VAMC. The oncology nurse provides direct patient care to adult and geriatric patients who are being treated for a variety of cancers and or blood disorders.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program
The Oncology Nurse has a variety of clinical and coordinating duties to provide and complete health care on a daily basis:
- Assists patients with maintaining a pump if indicated, may perform blood draws and will assess and or triage overall well being and needs of the patient.
- Collaborates with providers, community resources and ancillary services to provide the most efficient and compassionate care for the patients.
- Provide team and disease based management including facilitating access to Hematology Oncology care by assessing new and all follow up patients, devising care plans, administering direct delivery of care with coordination of other care needed.
- Educate patients and families on disease process, treatment regime, pre-treatment expectations, post- home care/equipment trouble shooting, clinic and infusion room follow up, preventive care and inpatient discharge teaching with clinic/infusion room follow up.
- Administer chemotherapy, biotherapy and hormonal therapy agents as well as supportive infusion drug therapy, blood products and vaccinations to Oncology, Hematology and Collaborative patients i.e. Neurology, Arthritis and GI.
- Perform laboratory draws, Phlebotomies for fluid volume extraction, Intravenous starts, access/de-access and maintenance of vascular access devices, dressing changes and administration via CADD infusion pumps for home infusions.
- Perform additional duties include activating and performing care during codes, identification of all patients, performing EKG's, ordering ongoing labs, consults, scheduling follow up appointments for treatments and provider clearance appointments for next cycles, pre and post care and instructions for bone marrow procedures.
- Coordinate nursing activities including preventive health screening and education, pain and symptom assessment, management and counseling for palliative care and end of life care with other team members.
- Complete daily review and track all Hematology, Oncology, Collaborative and Flex clinic Provider notes, orders, consults and discharge instructions and seek clarification or new orders.
- Daily review all laboratory and test results, communicate results to Providers, seek orders or change in treatment as necessary and communicate to patients findings either in person, by phone or mailing.
- Initiate and return phone calls to Veterans regarding Provider appointment times, test prep, prescriptions renewals, scheduled laboratory appointments, hoptel/hotel arrangements, transportation, Bone Marrow Transplant travel care/arrangements and future plans for care.
- Provide post infusion appointments, patients who no call/ no show are contacted by phone within 24 hours to reschedule and patient letters regarding missed appointments are initiated
- Must have ONS Bio-Therapy certification for Administration of Cytotoxic Agents
- ONC Certification must be obtained within the first year of employment.
- Must maintain BLS
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This is an Open Continuous Announcement. Resumes/Questionnaires received in USA Staffing in response to this announcement will be maintained in the USA Staffing job file. Qualification determinations will be done based on the applicant's resume/questionnaire/documents submitted for the position and a list of qualified candidates will be referred to Service.**The first list of eligible applicants will be pulled for referral on Thursday, September 19, 2019**. Subsequent referrals of qualified applicants will be referred on the 19th of each month (Cutoff dates) or as need it. The vacancy announcement will remain open until closed, canceled or filled.**
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/544893500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.