This position is located in GAO's Science, Technology Assessment, and Analytics (STAA) Team - Innovation Lab. STAA’s mission is to produce technology assessments, technical performance audits, science oversight audits, engineering sciences analyses, and advanced analytics and cybersecurity research to Congress and GAO overall.Learn more about this agency
- Supports or leads the development of advanced analytical techniques and innovates next generation methods and/or tools with emerging technologies in support of current and future audits (financial and performance), investigations, business operations, and evaluations for any and all of GAO’s mission or support teams on problems such as fraud detection, improper payments, visualization of large data sets, and/or estimation of duplication, overlap, or fragmentation in federal programs, among others.
- Innovates and expands the agency’s advanced analytics and computational research and offerings to support greater analytic capability through a rigorous problem definition, ideation, review, revision, and execution process to determine to most promising ideas and approaches which, if successful, could profoundly change the business of audit, investigations, and program evaluation for the future GAO.
- Develops or acquires advanced software systems and/or algorithms based on skills and experience in working with data representation, data structures, file systems, operating systems, computer languages, software development methodologies, and network protocols.
- Performs advanced analytics projects in addition to consulting with others. Prepares written assessments of advanced analytics pilots for publication on GAO’s intranet website which describes the problem, approach, and outcome of each advanced analytic pilot tested out in the Innovation Lab. Works with experts outside GAO to determine best practices for advanced analytics as necessary. Provides related oral presentations to both internal GAO customers and external customers such as Congressional staff as determined by the Chief Data Scientist (CDS).
- Develops findings for supportable conclusions/outcomes based on sound advanced analytics and/or data science methodological practices.
- Provides expert advice, guidance and support to engagement teams across GAO on advanced analytics and related areas. Identifies key deficiencies in problem statements and/or proposed approaches or data access issues which are significant to the design, execution, and reporting out of advanced analytics pilots of the Innovation Lab.
Occasional travel - Some travel may be required.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/544803000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.