This is an Excepted Service position under Title 42. Applications will be accepted from all groups of qualified persons, and Public Health Service Commissioned Corps officers. Applicants must be US citizens. No previous federal experience is required. This appointment does not confer any entitlement to a position in the competitive service and may provide entitlement to Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB) appeal rights.Learn more about this agency
As the Principal Deputy Director the incumbent will:
- Participate with the Director and other CDC officials in the formulation of the basic policies and operational philosophy which guide the Center to effectively integrate and implement their responsibilities in these functional areas. Translates and/or interprets the Director's broad policy and operational concepts in making program decisions relative to these areas.
- Oversee the development of budgets and budget justifications; plays a major role in developing and implementing the budget strategy with particular emphasis on budget formulation.
- Speak for the Center at conferences and meetings with officials and program staff at various levels, including CDC, HHS, other government agencies, OMB, the Congress, and public and private groups. Outside contacts are extensive and the development of new constituencies is an important initiative of CGH.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to ideas of subordinates. Ensures actions taken directly as well as those by subordinate supervisors promote an environment in which employees are empowered to participate in and contribute to effective mission accomplishment.
- Represent CGH with top management in CDC and in other agencies of the Federal government, as well as state, academia, voluntary, private and international organizations to provide a critical interface for programs and objectives; coordinates and resolves management problems relative to collaborative projects and commitment of resources in support of such projects.
- Exercise supervisory personnel management responsibilities. Directs, coordinates, and oversees work through subordinate supervisors. Advises staff about policies, procedures, and directives of higher-level management or headquarters. Ensures reasonable equity among performance standards developed, modified, and interpreted and rating techniques developed by subordinate supervisors. Oversees the development of budgets and budget justifications.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/544398300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.