This position is located in the Environmental Management Service of the VA Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA.Learn more about this agency
ResponsibilitiesThe Laundry Worker position is organizationally located in the Office of Textile Care Facility and functions under the supervision of the Laundry Plant Business Manager, Chief and Assistant Chief. This position performs the primary work involving receiving, sorting, and marking soiled textiles and apparel; processing flatwork and roughdry items; assembling carts for delivery. This includes classifying and marking; shaking out wet laundry; feeding into the flatwork ironer; catching, using small and large piece folders, and stacking ironed flatwork; folding roughdry laundry; sorting by identification number; using monorail systems; loading bulk carts; weighing and recording delivery carts; and wrapping bundles.
Duties include, but not limited to the following:
- Rotates through a variety of work sites in the textile care processing facility throughout tour of duty to meet workload processing or production standards. This may involve, on a rotating basis, assisting in unloading soiled linen bags from the soiled linen truck, dumping these bags onto a conveyor system for transporting to the sorting and classification area, where incumbent may also be required to sort soiled linen items according to classification procedures;
- Operates the small piece folders and flatwork, ironer. Shakes out articles of wet linen items checking for knots, damage, and stained items; feeds damp pieces of linen into flatwork ironers using a spreading-feeding device, or by hand-feeding directly into the ironer. Incumbent may be responsible for cleaning and waxing the flatwork ironer and for replacing ribbons; receives items at receiving end of ironer;
- Feeds garment and apparel through garment finish steam tunnels; folds rough dry items by hand;
- Loads clean textiles in bulk carts; prepares clean textiles for shipment; and receives soiled textiles, weighing and recording soiled and clean weights;
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment.
Work Schedule: Full-Time, To be discussed/determined at the time of interview.
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/544080000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.