The PA will collaborate with primary care and specialty medical care providers to help manage patients and make referrals to subspecialty Mental Health clinics when appropriate. Primary responsibility of this position is direct patient care (face to face as well as Clinical Video Conferencing) with focus on diagnostic assessment, comprehensive treatment planning, psychopharmacology as well as in session therapy techniques such as motivational interviewing and supportive therapy.Learn more about this agency
- Performing initial medical histories and physical examinations on new and established patients enrolled in the mental health clinic, outlining medical problems and indicating patient assessment and management plan.
- Performing initial mental health diagnostic evaluations and ongoing mental health assessments including risk assessments on outpatients enrolled in the Mental Health Clinic and extended care programs indicating patient assessment and management plan.
- Screening outpatients to determine the need for further care.
- Carrying out health promotion and disease prevention activities.
- Ordering appropriate laboratory tests, EKG's, x-ray examinations and comparable procedures according to criteria previously established by the Medical Staff Executive Committee.
- Drawing blood specimens (venipuncture) for testing and performing other comparable procedures when personnel who customarily perform such procedures are not available.
- Initiating and expediting requests for consultation and scheduling of special tests and studies.
- Providing ongoing outpatient mental health care including psychotherapy and medication management for assigned patients.
- Counseling the patient and his family as to preventive care, medical problems, mental health issues, and the use of prescribed treatment and drugs.
- Initiating drug therapy on all VA class products including psychotropic medications except antineoplastics, blood products, anticoagulant thrombolytic agents and cardiac antiarrythmics.
- Administering medications via injections to patients including depot intramuscular antipsychotics when the PA is appropriately trained.
- Making interim and discharge summaries of patients: medical records as required. The responsible physician(s) will review and sign the summary.
- Making appropriate records on all procedures performed for which he is responsible.
- Collaborates with primary care and specialty medical care providers to help manage patients and makes referrals to subspecialty Mental Health clinics when appropriate.
Other duties as assigned include, but are not limited to, providing back-up clinical coverage within the clinic and in other settings such as the Hospital or Community Based Services and administering injections as needed.The ideal candidate will have a strong desire to work in a highly interdisciplinary team with access to 1) expert therapists, medication providers,and clinical pharmacists trained in all the major evidence based treatments, 2) social workers responsible for helping with case management and crisis management, as well as 3) multiple medical support assistants in charge of scheduling and administrative support.
EDPR: This position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan reimbursement program. To participate in the program, you must meet specific individual eligibility requirements in accordance with VHA Policy 1021 and submit your application within four months of appointment. The final award amount (up to $200,000) and eligibility period (one to five years) is determined by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services office.
Work Schedule: Full Time, Monday through Friday, Tour of Duty to be discussed with service
Financial Discloser Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/543841400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.