The USPTO Office of the Chief Information Officer is a modern Agile Software/Services Development Shop that is looking for a strategic, energetic and enthusiastic leader to serve as Director of Infrastructure Engineering and Operations. The Director is responsible for leading IT stabilization and sustainment efforts while providing management and oversight of Infrastructure, Network, Platform, Storage and Software Operations Services for USPTO-developed and Commercial-software applications.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent directs the activities of the Office of Infrastructure Engineering and Operations (IEO). The Director of IEO provides management and oversight of Infrastructure, Network, Platform, Storage and Software Operations Services for USPTO-developed and Commercial-software applications on a 24x7x365 day basis.
Specifically, the incumbent performs or supervises the following functions:
- Provides leadership and oversight to ensure effective and efficient architecture, data center, and system engineering operations to support Mission Accomplishments that meet the needs of USPTO.
- Provides oversight to the management of a 24/7 global data center supporting telecommunications activities for over 5,000 servers, 200 of applications and 40,000 square footage per data center.
- Ensures high availability business continuity and disaster recovery of critical data systems.
- Provides leadership to promote automation for configuration and deployment in support of DevOps/Agile methodology.
- Provides oversight and leadership to increase utilization of hyper converged infrastructure and the growing need to leverage virtualization and/or cloud services, where appropriate.
- Integrates systems engineering resources within critical infrastructure and development project teams to support the assimilation of components into the IT operations framework.
- Oversees and manages the design, development, modification, and implementation decisions for new or existing infrastructure solutions, with a focus on reducing physical data center footprint, leveraging virtual or cloud technologies.
- Provides leadership in implementing loosely coupled development, incremental innovation, and continuous delivery methodologies and solutions.
- Leads quality focused efforts that support organizational skill assessments, development, and strengthening that provides process improvement in the development of applications.
- Determines feasibility and impact of project proposals, application and database designs, and package implementations with respect to systems architecture and modernization strategy.
- Recommends continuation or termination of projects under development at key milestones or when they fail to meet performance, cost, or schedule criteria.
- Evaluates industry-best practices and applies them as appropriate. Keeps the executives apprised of information technology trends and emerging technologies.
- Creates and executes operational plans, policies and strategies to support the day-to-day management of enterprise-wide Agency technology architecture, infrastructure and systems engineering services.
- Provides statistics, analysis and summary reports relating to infrastructure activity to meet the needs of USPTO executive management, Federal and foreign government agencies and the public.
- Delivers high quality communications to executive management, customers and other stakeholders on program results on all areas of assigned responsibilities.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/543664500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.