WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE PATHWAYS PROGRAM? For additional information regarding the Pathways Program, please refer to the following website: www.usajobs.gov/StudentsAndGradsLearn more about this agency
See “Other Information” for Locations.
IRS Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. Successful applicants are placed in a dynamic, developmental program with the potential to lead to a civil service career in the Federal Government. Following the completion of program requirements, selectees may be considered for non-competitive conversion to a career-conditional or term appointment. All conversion requirements will be identified in the Participant Agreement. Program requirements include but are not limited to:
- Successful completion of at least 1-year of continuous service
- Completion of at least 40 hours of interactive training
- Demonstration of successful job performance
- Meet the qualification standards for the position to which the Recent Graduate may be converted
- Conversion to competitive service is not implied nor guaranteed
- If selected, you will be placed in a position as an IT Specialist, GS-2210, 5/7/9 Career Ladder to GS-12
WHAT DOES AN IT SPECIALIST CUSTOMER SUPPORT DO?An IT Specialist working in customer support provides technical support to customers who need advice, assistance, and training in applying hardware and software systems. Much of this work involves resolving difficult and complex problems, some unique to a single customer or organization, while others are more repetitive or similar to issues that have been handled and resolved before within the organizational component. As an IT Specialist (Customer Support) you will find that each day brings many new and exciting challenges, you will be exposed to the latest in information technology, and be recognized as an expert in your field.
The following are the duties of this position at the GS-11You will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and will receive training to help you grow in this developmental position.
As an IT Specialist (Customer Support) you will:
- Coordinates, oversees or performs activities involving troubleshooting, installing, testing, and securing existing, new or updated voice or data communications equipment. Evaluates installations to ensure compliance and conformity to regulations, standards, and security compliance, technical and procedural requirements
- Provides advice and assistance to customers on a large local problem to troubleshoot complex problems; and provides support in a manner that minimizes interruptions in customers’ ability to carry out critical business activities.
- Develops contingency plans to ensure continuous availability and accessibility of network resources in the event of emergencies.
- Identifies and analyzes critical problems and issues to determine nature of requirements, specifications,resources, constraints, security, and coordinates controls to ensure integrity of communication systems design and implementation.
- Leads the local implementation of national projects to evaluate and report on new tools and trends in the customer support field such as browser-based and speech-enabled customer support services; recommends purchase of new tools to enhance the delivery of customer support services. Leads the implementation of national projects, reviews, validates, and standardizes problem resolutions for inclusion in the problem management database.
- Leads the implementation of large scale projects such as: upgrading from hubs to switches; inventory control, equipment replacement, consolidation of regional networks; and redesigning network infrastructure in response to changes in network technologies or network requirements, such as VoIP taking into consideration telecommunications policies, regulations, standards, and requirements.
- Serves as senior customer technical analyst with responsibility for projects, resolves the most complex customer problems; e.g., re-imaging customer workstations, correcting other workstations affected by similar problems, configuring hubs, switches, and routers, and troubleshooting interconnectivity and inter-operability of equipment and software requirements including operating systems. Serves as the primary contact with respect to major equipment installations, moves, maintenance, and acceptance testing of new, untried, computer equipment involving multiple sites.
- Provides desk side guidance, documentation, and training on system, products, new technology and updated standard operating procedures (SOPs) to eliminate recurring errors, accomplish tasks or projects and where appropriate, provides recommendations for improvements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at https://www.jobs.irs.gov/
Occasional travel - Travel may be required 1 to 5 nights per month
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/543447900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.