This position is located within the Information Technology Security Office (ITSO) of the Department of Technology Services (DTS). As an Information Technology (IT) Specialist (Security) Team Lead within the Security Operations Division, the incumbent provides federal oversight of contractors performing comprehensive and remote court unit IT security assessments and related activities.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent conducts external penetration tests of court public facing servers, evaluates internal security controls to detect network and system intrusions, and conducts social engineering campaigns on court employees. The incumbent participates in assessment activities, leading by example, and ensures assessments are properly scheduled, scoped and effectively performed. The incumbent possesses technical, operational, and management expertise so that assessments are thorough and risk calibrated using repeatable, defensible, and best practices based on known methodologies. Additionally, this position will screen contractor candidates to ensure team effectiveness and participate in contract management related actions, e.g. SOW development, performance measurements and assessments, etc.
The person selected for this position is recognized as an IT security expert with a strong background in cyber-security and penetration testing. The ideal candidate will have a proven record of successfully leading "hands on" penetration testing and organization assessment activities to include: developing rules of engagement, scope of activities and assessment agreements; researching and exploiting known and emerging vulnerabilities; identifying and assessing risk, and developing mitigation recommendations; validating discovered vulnerabilities and providing documentation for reconstruction and recreation of exploits. Most importantly, given the high-profile nature of this role, e.g. communicating with court unit executives, judges, the C-Suite stakeholders, IT practitioners, end users, etc, the incumbent must have excellent written and oral communication skills as well as the ability to communicate about cyber security topics to diverse audiences. Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oversees comprehensive and remote IT security assessments of Court Units and Program Offices to identify vulnerabilities, provide recommendations for their remediation, and to assist system owners in implementing effective safeguards. Vulnerabilities must be risk rated and risk statements must be clearly stated and capture the specific business impact to the Judiciary in the even that a deficiency is exploited.
- Serves as the subject matter expert for the execution of the SOC's red team related tasking. This includes outreach to potential service consumers, project planning, service delivery, and reporting.
- Oversees validation testing of discovered vulnerabilities in support of SOC defensive operations. This includes developing new exploits against discovered vulnerabilities and recreating reported exploits against Judiciary networks and assets. Mitigation strategies must be developed against any validated exploit to prevent future compromise.
- Performs research to identify potential vulnerabilities in and threats to existing web, applications, databases, and operating system technologies, and provide timely, clear, technically accurate notification to management of the risk potential; and options for remediation.
- Use and evaluate the effectiveness of various tools for identifying and exploiting IT vulnerabilities in a local area network.
- Serves as the subject matter exploit for physical access, wireless intrusion, social engineering and penetration testing.
- Creates and delivers factually accurate and compelling written and oral presentations and work products to a range of audiences from the IT practitioner to executive level management.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/543371300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.