Aviation Safety Inspectors in this specialty (General Aviation Maintenance) apply knowledge and skills typically acquired as repairman of aircraft, aircraft parts, or avionics equipment to develop and administer regulations and safety standards pertaining to the airworthiness and maintenance of aircraft and related equipment.Learn more about this agency
Candidate must complete an extensive training program to include formal and on-the-job training up to and possibly 24 months regardless of grade level.
Duties at the FG-12 grade level include but are not limited to the following:
- Evaluating mechanics and repair facilities for initial certification and continuing adequacy;
- Evaluating the mechanic's training program;
- Inspecting aircraft and related equipment for airworthiness; and
- Evaluating the maintenance aspects of programs of air carriers and similar commercial operations. The evaluations may include the adequacy of maintenance facilities, equipment and procedures; the competence of employees; the adequacy of the program or schedule for periodic maintenance and overhauls; and the airworthiness of the aircraft.
Duties at the FG-11 grade level may include but are not limited to the following:
- • Assuring that aviation organization and airmen comply with regulatory requirements and reports deficiencies to the principal inspector or supervisor;
- • Providing assistance in the evaluation of air carriers, air agencies, and air operators and making recommendations to the principal inspector or supervisor; and
- • Assisting in the recertification of an operator or agency.
Aviation Safety Inspectors (Airworthiness) may perform a variety of other inspections, investigations and advisory duties however, the primary requirement for positions in this specialty is knowledge and skill pertaining to the maintenance and airworthiness of aircraft.
Inspectors are required to travel frequently and to occasionally work irregular duty hours.
Occasional travel - The job may require travel from time- to-time, but not on a regular basis. The travel may be for training or other work-related duties.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/543132900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.