Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below for IMPORTANT information.Learn more about this agency
Applicants should possess and demonstrate the capability to teach in one of the core (general-education) history courses offered to all USAF Academy students. The Department of History teaches core courses in both military history and world history. The selectee for this position, which is renewable, will also teach upper-division courses in their military history specialty. In particular, the department desires applicants with expertise in one of the following specialties: the history of air power, the history of technology and warfare, or unconventional warfare, including (but not necessarily limited to) low-intensity conflict, insurgency, and counterinsurgency. The selectee will also have responsibility for lesson planning and preparation, course instruction, grading, class exercises, exams, assessment, academic advising; and service on departmental and USAF Academy committees.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- The selected candidate will be subject to a security investigation leading to successful completion of a background investigation with a favorable adjudication. The selectee's failure to meet this requirement will be grounds for termination.
- Essential qualities expected of every faculty member include the personal attributes of integrity, industry, cooperation, initiative, and breadth of intellectual interests.
- Doctoral degree (see Qualifications for required academic disciplines)
- The salary shown is the minimum (Annual) amount to be paid and may be set higher commensurate with individual's qualifications and experience.
- You will be required to serve a 1-year trial period
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal and Regulatory Guidance
QualificationsREQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: An earned Doctoral degree (must be completed by application deadline) in History (see desired specialties below); War Studies (with a demonstrated focus in history).
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINES: History or War Studies.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrated excellence and innovation in teaching. Applicants will be assessed based on education, evidence of teaching effectiveness, quality of scholarship, and demonstrated service in an academic setting. Applicants should submit the following items: curriculum vitae with an exhaustive publication record, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and at least three references (three letters of recommendation are highly desired but not required). Cover letter should include discussion of previous experience in academic committees, teaching expertise, curriculum design and management, program review, and department leadership as applicable. USAFA is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. Prospective candidates must engender a climate that values and uses diversity in all its forms to enliven and make more inclusive the work of the organization. USAFA is committed to building a culturally diverse educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal.
If selected, you will be requested to provide original copies of ALL OFFICIAL transcripts for degrees being pursued or obtained (or letter of degree completion if an OFFICIAL transcript is not available due to recent graduation) to support your educational claims as stated in your curriculum vitae. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a transcript to be considered OFFICIAL, it should be printed on university letterhead and the registrar's official seal/signature must appear on the transcript. Your transcripts must also reflect the degree awarded/conferred date. Transcripts labeled UNOFFICIAL will not be accepted.
Upon request, ensure you include ALL transcripts to support your educational claims as stated in your curriculum vitae (resume) even if not required for this position.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the educational requirements. However, you must show proof that the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in a conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying in the form of an "official" statement of U.S. equivalency from a Department of Education approved (non-federal) agency (i.e. AICE, NACES), who will complete a U.S. Standard of Education Conversion.
This job is being filled by an alternative hiring process and is not in the competitive civil service. Late applications from veterans will not be accepted for faculty positions. Late applications for veterans only apply when filling positions in the competitive service.
Schedule A applicants must apply via instructions in the "How to Apply" section and applications must be received by the closing date of the announcement. Late or incomplete application packages will not be considered.
As a condition of employment, male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information click here.
This is NOT a designated drug testing position.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Current Federal Civilian employees may apply for temporary and term positions and if selected, a break in service of at least three (3) calendar days may be required prior to appointment to the position.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position in the excepted service, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition.
USAFA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. The Air Force believes that diversity is essential to accomplishing its mission. The Air Force Academy highly values individuals who have a demonstrated ability to work successfully with and help develop individuals of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. For the Air Force, diversity encompasses: personal life experiences, geographic background, socioeconomic background, cultural knowledge, educational background, work background, language abilities, physical abilities, philosophical/spiritual perspectives, age, race, ethnicity, and gender.
Applications submitted under this announcement will be considered ONLY for this vacancy.
Travel and relocation expenses WILL be paid.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance (WTA) and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on WTA/RITA allowances and eligibilities, please visit: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants possessing the required qualifications as contained within this announcement will be evaluated and ranked by a Faculty-Rating Panel based on the extent to which their experience and education relate to the requirements of the position. A personal interview and presentation to the faculty may be required of the top applicants.
Applicants will be assessed based on their teaching credentials, scholarship, service, and education.
Your application package (curriculum vitae, cover letter, and statement of citizenship.) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment. Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
USAFA is dedicated to the goal of building a pluralistic faculty committed to a multicultural environment that enriches the educational experience of our students. Hence, we are especially interested in candidates whose teaching, life experience and/or research interests contribute to a climate that values and uses diversity in all its forms. Interested persons should submit a curriculum vitae and a statement of interest that addresses the ways in which the applicant's qualifications meet the requirements of the ad to include evidence of teaching excellence, promise of research productivity, and commitment to diversity/inclusion. Additional documents are required to complete your application package, please reference the "How to Apply" and "Required Documents" section for more information.
Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement
The following documents are required and must be received by the closing date of the announcement.
- Letter of application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae (resume)
- Statement of U.S. citizenship: A statement indicating your country of citizenship (i.e. "I am a citizen of _ .") is required to be included on your cover letter or curriculum vitae
- Veterans' preference documents, if applicable (i.e. DD-214 or Proof of Service letter (if active duty military), SF-15, Veterans Affairs letter for federal employment)
It is highly desired that your cover letter and/or curriculum vitae address the following areas, as appropriate:
- Teaching Accomplishments: Include teaching experience and teaching awards.
- Professional Accomplishments: Include research, consultations, publications, and awards.
- Service Accomplishments: Include memberships, leadership roles, nature of service and contribution in collegial and/or professional organizations, societies, etc.
- Diversity Statement: Include teaching, life experience and/or research interests that contribute to a climate that values and promotes diversity in all its forms.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
You must submit your application so that it will be received by the closing date of the announcement, 11/01/2019.
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent."
It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
2. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name.
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan. Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 11/01/2019.
Agency contact information
USAF Academy Faculty Staffing Team
5136 Eagle Drive
USAF Academy, CO 80840
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration. If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
If selected, the following may be requested:
- OFFICIAL copies of your transcripts that also reflect the degree awarded/conferred date. For a transcript to be considered OFFICIAL, it should be printed on university letterhead and the registrar's seal/signature must appear on the transcript. You MUST provide original copies of ALL transcripts for degrees being pursued or obtained (or letter of degree completion if a transcript is not available due to recent graduation) to support your educational claims as stated in your curriculum vitae.
- Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities (e.g. Oxford) may be used to meet requirements, but applicants must obtain a statement of U.S. equivalency from a Department of Education approved (non-federal) credentialing agency (i.e. AICE, NACES), who will complete a U.S. Standard of Education Conversion for education completed in foreign colleges or universities.
- List of three professional references (to include name, complete mailing address, email, and phone number)
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/542790100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.