Learn more about this agency
The position is the Chief of the Engineering Service as the Northport VA Medical Center, Suffolk County, New York. The incumbent is responsible for the development and management of the engineering program, to include the efficient operation of utility plants, maintenance of all building and facilities, and the design and supervision of all projects. He/She is responsible for the development and implementation of the Medical Center's capital improvement programs.
The General Engineer (Supervisory) serves as the Chief of Engineering Service. Incumbent provides professional engineering consultative services to medical and administrative personnel within the facility. The Chief is a key member of the Medical Center Director's management staff and shares with other staff members the responsibility for total Medical Center planning, programming, and budgeting.
The Chief, Engineering Service, has full administrative and managerial responsibility for the Medical Center's engineering program and provides professional engineering staff guidance and assistance to management on all engineering problems and responsibilities concerning maintenance, repair, operations, construction, design, personnel, safety and Medical Center work environment. Is responsible for the development and management of a total engineering program, including the efficient operation of utility plants, maintenance of all buildings and facilities, and the design and supervision of projects. He/she is responsible for the development and implementation of the Medical Center's capital improvement program, working with medical activities to identify space and necessary renovations, and transforming them to engineering requirements to be accomplished with station resources or included in the CARES (Capital Asset Realignment for Enhanced Services) program, obligating facility and non-recurring maintenance projects.
- Provides engineering consultative support to the Long Island National Cemetery and the Calverton National Cemetery, both of which are physically remote from the facility.
- Acts as Resident Engineer on the construction of new buildings or on alterations, additions, or rehabilitation of existing buildings, grounds, utility plants, and systems where professional engineering duties are needed to be performed in connection with the interpretation of plans and specifications, in the initial preparation of same, supervision of the project, and the complicated coordination of construction work with hospital operations and for the debugging of new mechanical equipment and systems.
- Oversees the Green Environmental Management Systems (GEMS) and the Energy Management Programs. He/she insures the directives, policies and performance measures outlined in the VHA and VISN GEMS and Energy Management Directives are continually adhered to, met, tracked and reported on, as required.
- Ensures that the Engineering programs are in compliance with appropriate standards; participates in top management discussions, decisions and policy making; promotes good relations and cooperation with a variety of internal and external customers; initiates, coordinates and sets policies, procedures, standards and goals for the organization.
- Is responsible for the long-range planning required for the effective accomplishment of the recurring maintenance and repair activity associated with engineering activities; for the long-range planning necessary for the accomplishment of pre-planning building improvements and/or modifications; to keep the Medical Center and its facilities in optimum condition; and for the coordination of plans with those of all operating areas and functions within Engineering Service.
- Is responsible for safety conditions throughout the Medical Center for work and operations. Practices latest and recommended safety procedures, sets examples for others and sees to it that all work is performed in a safe manner. Coordinates all interaction with the Safety Office including inspections, reports and committees as they relate to Engineering Service.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Compressed/Flexible: Not Available
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Supervisory General Engineer (Chief)/PD2937
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/541259900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.